Mental Support Community

Repetitive things do my head in

broom

This might sound very strange but I cannot handle repetitive things such as lyrics in music, sounds and even looping images.

Lyrics and sounds are the worst. It feels like my head is going to explode if i dont turn it off or i cannot get away from it. I remember once i was doing some community work ( damn speeding fines ) and a bunch of us had to get on this van. The driver put the radio on loud and there was a song on with very repetitive lyrics that kept going on and on and on. I covered my ears with my hands and tried to drain it out by humming a tune.

Anyone else feel like this ? or am i just weird :confused:

Hi broom

No your not weird. Believe it or not I am the same. What makes it worst for me is my son lives with me. He's 21yrs old and he goes to college through the day but of an evening he like to play his music as he's a D.J in his spare time, doing the odd job here and there.

He really takes his D.J work very seriously! That comes before anything! He even runs a community forum like this one for D.J's. Got his own website and designed and did it all his self.

He enters a lot of competition's. For instance, there's one going on at the moment between all the pub's and club's in the U.K. He has entered that and at the moment he is fith. It all goes of how many people vote for you? But to enter these competition's, he has to mix a 15mins track with all the music mixing into one another. He has to do this and video his self actually mixing this music into one another, then it is played on You Tube and people vote. The winner gets the chance to play alongside these top D.J's on the top radio station which is radio 1. So by him mixing these tracks, he has the lyrics repeating theirself's over and over again! It drives me crazy! He cannot put headphones on as he needs the head phones to make sure he is mixing the track to perfection.

I know exactly where your coming from!

Hi, I don't know if this is the same type thing but I get alot of images in my mind when I close my eyes especially at night. It is like the image moves very fast and it continues over and over. same with thoughts like they are very fast. I hate it because it is very distracting and makes me feel not calm. I am not to sure why I get this at times or what to do to calm myself when this is happening, but it is really annoying.

I don't know if this helps, but a lot of people with OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) can get "stuck" on a song like that and it seems impossible to shake it out of your head. I have OCD and it can be maddening!!! You might want to check with your therapist or psychiatrist about this? OCD can be difficult to manage but it does NOT mean you are "crazy" in any way, shape, or form. You might benefit from meds and/or therapy.

Sometimes when I'm anxious it feels like my mind is racing too. Sometimes it's just anxiety (OCD is listed as an "anxiety disorder") but at other times, racing thoughts can be a sign of mania/hypomania (as in cyclothymia or bipolar disorder). Bipolar disorder usually responds really well to meds and often psychotherapy too.

But it definitely does not mean you're "crazy"--it's just that your mind needs some help in getting "un-stuck"!! :)

Guest ASchwartz

Hi broom,

Do I ever experience repetitive songs, words, etc?? You better believe I do. In fact, you do not even have to have OCD for that to happen (although it helps:) ) If you have OCD or you are not sure, consult with your MD, I believe it's a good idea as has been suggested to you.

As for what to do in the meantime? Well, I can tell you this from a psycholgical point of view: The more your attempt to force your self to stop thinking the repetitive thing the more you will think it.

So, what you need to do is Think of Something Different, Particularly something really pleasant. And, if you can picture the thing you enjoy thinking of, it helps a lot. This is a form of meditation or visualization.

Allan:)