Mental Support Community

Stress & Bipolar- is stress a trigger?

Bipolar_Criminologist

I was wondering whether anyone else gets triggered into a BP cycle by stress, or if stress exacerbates a cycle you are already in. For me, stress is like, THE trigger for a cycle, usually starting with depression (although I am a rapid cycler anyway) that lasts and then a manic phase. Usually stress triggers depression and anxiety and those two together are extremely dangerous for me, as I have huge issues with suicidal ideation/thoughts.

Right now I am (supposed to be) on medical leave from work due to Bipolar (I wasn't on a mood stabilizer at the time and was very depressed & suicidal) and thinking about going back and handling a full load at school (I graduate in the Spring and then start Graduate School) is seriously causing anxiety & stress. Does anyone else with Bipolar work and go to school successfully? How do you do it? I'm worried I'm not going to be able to work and go to school at the same time and that could be an issue...

• 1 month later...
I was wondering whether anyone else gets triggered into a BP cycle by stress, or if stress exacerbates a cycle you are already in.
absolutely!! stress is a HUGE trigger for anyone with BP. almost all of my episodes are a result of one stressor or another. unfortunately life is full of stress, but we already know that. know your warning signs and symptoms! as soon as you see BP rearing its ugly head, you must act! address your disorder first before it gets worse.

one example: for me, when i suspect i am heading into an episode, usually it has something to do with an upset in my sleeping schedule. so i address that. i do whatever i can to get my sleep. sometimes this means taking an over the counter sleep aid. i need a consistent schedule. in bed at the same time every day, and up at the same time every day... 7 days a week. i have found sticking to this (while hard at times) is one of the most important factors to maintaining my stability.

Does anyone else with Bipolar work and go to school successfully? How do you do it?
i used to. i lasted 15 years. i am on full disability now though. However, i don't want that to discourage you. everyone is different. i know there are people out there with our disease that manage to have fulfilling lives and careers. you could be one of those people!!!
and thinking about going back and handling a full load at school (I graduate in the Spring and then start Graduate School) is seriously causing anxiety & stress.
well first off, congratulations! :D
I'm worried I'm not going to be able to work and go to school at the same time and that could be an issue...
is it possible to lighten your school load? i know for me, the heavy course load combined with having to work was too much for me. i could not handle it all. is it a possibility to only take a 3 classes for example as opposed to 5 or 6? you mention working so i imagine that is a financial necessity. but is it possible to only work part-time?

you started this thread nearly 2 months ago, (i just joined today) i wonder how you are doing now? :)

Archived