Mental Support Community

Having constant mood swings

wolfinfang

For a few years now I seem to have these swings. I first it would be every 2 or 3 days or the littlest thing will send me to a very depressed state or would make me happy. I always thought I was overreacting to things lately they happen frequently like in hours or minutes, when I'm happy I'm fidgety my thoughts are quicker background noise is a lot quieter I write so when I'm doing that my ideas just follow and any attempts to suppress these emotions leave me irritable and depressed and when I'm sad I just feel this weight on my chest I feel as if everyone is saying or going try to do something mean or violent to me, my thoughts are clouded and my brain feels choked I can't think and loose my will to live and my body tenses.

So I'm lost at the moment and this is getting really bothersome I really appreciate help from someone these symptoms seem familiar to

Other things that might help:

I was born premature

I have cerebral palsy causing my leg muscles to be too tight so that I had to get surgery when I was 3 (I walk with I limp now)

I have muscle spasms all day at random times around the neck area although a bad one will go all up my back

I have no history of health problems in my family

I have no history of diagnosed mental health problems in my family, but my family has a long history of alcohol and substance abuse on both sides

Late in my freshman high school year there was an incident where I threatened someone and got sent to a mental ward for 4 days (the mood swings were really obvious in there since we sat around all day for the most part) but I was afraid they would think I was crazy so I didn't answer any of their questions honestly

I do cry doing my unhappy periods about 50% of the time although its usually not all out heavy tears.

Wow... so many of your symptoms are just like mine. I have mood swings that occur so quickly and often unexpectedly - the least little thing will set me off, even if it's only a thought. I have a ton of energy when I'm up, and I can't sit too still or be quiet for too long, but when I'm low I have absolutely no motivation to do anything... even coughing to clear my throat feels like an insurmountable obstacle, simply because it would take more effort than I have to exert. I often resort to SI and can feel very suicidal during these times... I also feel like everyone is talking about me behind my back, and I deeply want to be around someone who cares but I isolate myself because I can't trust anyone. Another one of my tendencies is to lose my temper and get very angry for no real reason at all and take it out on people that don't deserve it. I, too, was referred to my first psychologist (for a slightly different reason) and nothing came of it, as I lied, unable to open up.

I know it's easier said than done, but I really think it might help you out to see a psychologist or psychiatrist. Believe me, they won't think you're crazy - of the people that they see, you won't stick in their mind as the most insane. Talking to someone about what goes on may serve to be very helpful, and there are mood-stabilizing medicines that may be suggested to you and can be extremely helpful in managing this sort of thing.

I have since been referred to a psychologist again, and I was so scared after an intensely low point that was actually more like a break down that I actually opened up. I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. It's very likely that your diagnosis would vary from mine, as there are other symptoms that indicate BPD, but it just shows that there may be a reason that this is happening to you and something may be done to help it.

Other smaller things can be done to help low points, but I believe these vary by personality. For me, it helps to force myself to be busy, losing myself in a menial task such as cleaning or getting lost in studies of whatever catches my fancy or a good book. I have to make myself begin doing these things as soon as I realize where my mood is headed, though, or else I won't be able to find the energy to begin. Different things help different people - maybe listening to music, getting outside and surrounding yourself with the quiet beauty of nature, watching one of your favorite movies, or talking to a close friend - because even if you think that they are plotting against you or planning to abandon you, the people you know actually care about you and want to help you in whatever way they can. Try different things when you feel yourself slipping into a depressed mood - for me, it's listening to my thoughts that pulls me down even further, so I find a way to distract myself.

I know what you're going through, to one extent or another. I have struggled with rapidly shifting moods for much of my life... I hope that I've helped a little. I know it's hard, but try to see someone - that's your best bet of making in a difference. And look, you've opened up a little to someone, so you've already made the first step!

Wow... so many of your symptoms are just like mine. I have mood swings that occur so quickly and often unexpectedly - the least little thing will set me off, even if it's only a thought. I have a ton of energy when I'm up, and I can't sit too still or be quiet for too long, but when I'm low I have absolutely no motivation to do anything... even coughing to clear my throat feels like an insurmountable obstacle, simply because it would take more effort than I have to exert. I often resort to SI and can feel very suicidal during these times... I also feel like everyone is talking about me behind my back, and I deeply want to be around someone who cares but I isolate myself because I can't trust anyone. Another one of my tendencies is to lose my temper and get very angry for no real reason at all and take it out on people that don't deserve it. I, too, was referred to my first psychologist (for a slightly different reason) and nothing came of it, as I lied, unable to open up.

I know it's easier said than done, but I really think it might help you out to see a psychologist or psychiatrist. Believe me, they won't think you're crazy - of the people that they see, you won't stick in their mind as the most insane. Talking to someone about what goes on may serve to be very helpful, and there are mood-stabilizing medicines that may be suggested to you and can be extremely helpful in managing this sort of thing.

I have since been referred to a psychologist again, and I was so scared after an intensely low point that was actually more like a break down that I actually opened up. I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. It's very likely that your diagnosis would vary from mine, as there are other symptoms that indicate BPD, but it just shows that there may be a reason that this is happening to you and something may be done to help it.

Other smaller things can be done to help low points, but I believe these vary by personality. For me, it helps to force myself to be busy, losing myself in a menial task such as cleaning or getting lost in studies of whatever catches my fancy or a good book. I have to make myself begin doing these things as soon as I realize where my mood is headed, though, or else I won't be able to find the energy to begin. Different things help different people - maybe listening to music, getting outside and surrounding yourself with the quiet beauty of nature, watching one of your favorite movies, or talking to a close friend - because even if you think that they are plotting against you or planning to abandon you, the people you know actually care about you and want to help you in whatever way they can. Try different things when you feel yourself slipping into a depressed mood - for me, it's listening to my thoughts that pulls me down even further, so I find a way to distract myself.

I know what you're going through, to one extent or another. I have struggled with rapidly shifting moods for much of my life... I hope that I've helped a little. I know it's hard, but try to see someone - that's your best bet of making in a difference. And look, you've opened up a little to someone, so you've already made the first step!

Thanks you were a big help

You sure do have lots of symptoms like mine, though mostly mine are not obvious since I started medication. I had mood swings like every 5 minutes when I was taking St. Johns Wort for depression. Stopped it and the moodiness continued but less frequently. I am moody by nature but these were escalated by the herb preparation, and my doctor told me he knew this is true since some other patients experienced this with this particular herb.

I don't think my problems are too much like yours, however, so I don't really think I can add much info that would help that hasn't already been said.

Good luck. It's a crazy life isn't it?

You sure do have lots of symptoms like mine, though mostly mine are not obvious since I started medication. I had mood swings like every 5 minutes when I was taking St. Johns Wort for depression. Stopped it and the moodiness continued but less frequently. I am moody by nature but these were escalated by the herb preparation, and my doctor told me he knew this is true since some other patients experienced this with this particular herb.

I don't think my problems are too much like yours, however, so I don't really think I can add much info that would help that hasn't already been said.

Good luck. It's a crazy life isn't it?

Oh yea makes you feel bad alot too