Mental Support Community

Risperidone Failure

Still thoroughly disappointed with the reaction I had to Risperidone. I was really hoping I could tolerate this medicine to help with the flashbacks I had been experiencing. Instead the medicines side effects were far worse than the original problem. The unstoppable anxiety attacks, shallow breathing, numbness in my face an extremeties, hallucinations, confusion, copper taste in mouth, paranoia, and so much more. I really questioned my sanity there for a period of time. I know I've had side effects to certain anti depressants, and I guess I should have mentioned how sensitive I am to meds. The medicine did stop the flashbacks for the most part so that I wasn't reliving my brothers funeral every day, several times a day. Now I'm in a fog. I don't know how long it takes for this stuff to leave my system but I'm still foggy minded, confused, and extremely fatigued, not to mention extremely nervous. I don't know what to do. I spoke with my therapist and he wanted me to continue to take a very very low portion of the medicine, but I just can't tolerate the hallucinations and numbness. It scared me to death. My anxiety is worse than ever and I'm beginning to wonder if it's going to get any better. It's been about three days since I've been off of it. SHouldn't I be completely better by now? I was only on it for 9 days.

Has anyone else had this type of experience with Risperidone? Has anyone on here been treated for PTSD? What have you been prescribed?

This has no doubt been the scariest experience I've ever had in my life. I honestly thought I was going to die. If anyone takes this medicine and feels there symptoms are getting worse, please talk to your doctor. I feel like if I had stayed on this medicine I would have done something crazy because I was having irrational thoughts and was completely paranoid. I was scared.

How horrible for you i really hope you start to feel better soon, i hate side

effects im sensitive to loads of medications but doctors always make out ther drugs dont do weird things to you yeah right! Im not on any meds at the moment trying to tough it out without them but difficult im sure you be ok soon:) Drink loads of water flush it out of your system

I have C-PTSD and have been on my fair share of Anti-Psychotic medication. Best one I've been on is Seroquel. I've also been on Zyprexa, Risperdal, Geodon, and Abilify. Zyprexa caused me to overeat. I started growing man boobs with the Risperdal. I puked way too much on the Geodon. We're not going to go there about the Abilify.

My husband is on Abilify, and it's done wonders for him. He had abused drugs for years and once he got clean, he experienced some severe mood swings and highs and lows. Not really bipolar, not sure of the diagnosis. We figured it would cause sexual side effects but it hasn't. He's been on it for about six months now, and he's like a brand new man. Does abilify work for PSTD? My insurance wouldn't cover Seroquel, but my doctor seemed to think if I couldn't take the Risperidone (Risperadol) that I couldn't tolerate Seroquel either.

The flashbacks are ruining my life. They are stopping me from progressing through the grief process, and makes me edgy and nervous at all times. I don't want any more medicines, but then again, I don't want to relive my brother's death over and over again. :confused:

Abilify does help stabilize a person's mood. That I can say it works wonders for.

My side effects included high cholesterol, high blood pressure, dizzyness, and extreme weight gain, as in almost 80lbs. When I was no longer diagnosed with Psychosis, I stopped taking that garbage. Abilify is one of the most expensive at nearly $475 for one months worth out of pocket.

BTW, when your husband can't see his "Mini-Me" when he looks down he's not going to be a happy camper.

Archived