Mental Support Community

Pedophilia questions... Please help.

Dunii

Ok, let me start off by asking that people please look at this honestly, don't judge me and please don't remove this thread.

I am not sure if I am a pedophile or not, I found this forum by searching out "Am I a Pedophile" on the web for help, I was hoping that I might be able to get a little bit of clarity here.

For approximately the last 6 months I have had a recurring fear of becoming a pedophile, I have seen children on occasion that I think are attractive, however I don't want to have sex with them. I would NEVER attempt to have sex with a child and I don't have sexual fantasies about them. However along those same lines I could fantasize about them, I just have no desire to and don't.

What ultimately triggered these fears was that about 6 months ago I found myself sexually attracted to a 12 year old girl, however I quickly decided that I did not want that life and the feelings seemed to go away. As I said before, I don't fantasize about children (even though I could, I don't desire to and choose not to), nor do I want to have sex with children because I know it is wrong.

My question is this: How do I know if I am a pedophile, I know the definition. What I don't know is if my attraction is sexual or not. If I find a young girl attractive and yet don't want to have sex with her because it is wrong, does that mean the attraction is normal and not sexual? How can I tell?

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Dunii,

Welcome to our forum,

Your very description leads me to the idea that you are not a pedophile. The reason I write this is that, if you were a pedophile, you could NOT turn off your sexual feelings. Of course you found a 12 year old attractive. They are attractive, with the full flush of youth on their faces. However, a pedophile is immediately and strongly sexully attracted and with powerful urges and graphic sexual fantasies that they cannot and do not want to resist.

Does this help?

Allan

Yes, I believe so. I think I'm just being paranoid, I just was looking for the opinion of someone else. Now if I could only shut off the paranoia, I have always struggled with depression and anxiety. I will likely be on some medication for those issues starting next week, hopefully once they come under control my paranoia will go with them. Thank you Allan.