Mental Support Community

Can't finish what I start... Need tools to change that..

Cali1luv

Hi.

Last time I checked in here it was back in Agust!:eek:

I went to go see a therapist and we talked about maybe ADHD but nope! I don't have that.

Not being able to finish what I start or have the follow thru has made me not really "accomplish" much these last couple of years.

I dont "Stick" it out and .. I give up too easily.

I'm 25 and I have so much I want to accomplish but MOTIVATION AND FOLLOW THRU IS KILLING ME!

I don't know what to do or have any idea where to begin!

Losing weight, sticking with school, selling my Mary Kay:o:(

ADVICE or suggestions are welcomed!!

Anyone knows a good book on motivation that I can read?

Any tips!?!?:confused:

Hey there Cali. I have the same problem I always have several projects going at once. I have been writing a book now for 10 years and it's not half finished. What helps me to stay on task best are these 2 methods of self mind control.

1. I put off procrastinating. (I know that sounds funny). If you start something and you find it hard to finish, just keep telling yourself that you can quit in a minute. Give yourself time limits and stick to them.

2.Distract yourself. Reset your mind with a short activity like a doodle or coloring or a quick call to a friend.

These things usually help me. I hope they help you too.:)

thanks for the tips..

ANYONE ELSE has more.. i mean over 500 something views and 1 reply!:eek:;)

Hey there Cali. I have the same problem I always have several projects going at once. I have been writing a book now for 10 years and it's not half finished. What helps me to stay on task best are these 2 methods of self mind control.

1. I put off procrastinating. (I know that sounds funny). If you start something and you find it hard to finish, just keep telling yourself that you can quit in a minute. Give yourself time limits and stick to them.

2.Distract yourself. Reset your mind with a short activity like a doodle or coloring or a quick call to a friend.

These things usually help me. I hope they help you too.:)

Cali if you need more advice on the subject you might try another forum. Maybe post in Personality issues. I am new here but I know there are really caring people here who are smart about these things. But it seems there are just as many looking for advice so views do not equate people who can assist or have input on the subject. Keep checking and try posting somewhere else as well as checking Resources.;)

Hi.

Last time I checked in here it was back in Agust!:eek:

I went to go see a therapist and we talked about maybe ADHD but nope! I don't have that.

Not being able to finish what I start or have the follow thru has made me not really "accomplish" much these last couple of years.

I dont "Stick" it out and .. I give up too easily.

I'm 25 and I have so much I want to accomplish but MOTIVATION AND FOLLOW THRU IS KILLING ME!

I don't know what to do or have any idea where to begin!

Losing weight, sticking with school, selling my Mary Kay:o:(

ADVICE or suggestions are welcomed!!

Anyone knows a good book on motivation that I can read?

Any tips!?!?:confused:

If you are ready to put a little time and effort into yourself give the TEA form exercise in the CBT book by Obitz and Craske a try. This exercise eliminated most of my anxieties and built my self confidence and has helped me turn my life around. CBT is quite remarkable and has a high success rate for those who dedicate themselves to it.

Best wishes.

• 3 weeks later...

Doing things is an incredibly complex process. In most people it is automated and those people think "Just do it!". Thing is, we all share the process and its steps, but we don't notice until it breaks.

Some people have a problem planning, some with starting, some with continuing and redirecting and some with finishing.

Pinpoint what your issue is exactly.

Don't say you give up too easily, you probably put MUCH more effort into this than a normal person do when completing the task. Ever felt totally drained even before starting something up? I have. It is because my mind works differently.

When you know what your problem is, try to find a way of getting past it, not easy I know. Some people are afraid starting something up, because they know how exhausting it will be. I have a lot of exhaustion phobia myself. If you have a problem following through, don't forget a step-by-step approach, and don't forget to REST between the steps. I know it can be hard to restart after, because some of us are simply not good at initiating, so we prefer to do everything in one go, which could work, a few times, until we start ruining our health. Breaks need to be planned and not skipped.

Also, the more you do one specific task, the more it gets automated and the less energy you have to spend doing it.

• 2 months later...

Hi Cali. I have the same problem, I can't finish anything. I can't even read a book from start to finish, I give up a couple of chapters in - it's so depressing - so I know how depressing it is. I wish I had a solution to give.

Ever felt totally drained even before starting something up? I have. It is because my mind works differently.

Starry, I feel like that too and I always thought there was something wrong with me - well obviously there is, but now at least I know it's not just me and you have given some helpful steps to follow.

Take care everyone.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If you are ready to put a little time and effort into yourself give the TEA form exercise in the CBT book by Obitz and Craske a try. This exercise eliminated most of my anxieties and built my self confidence and has helped me turn my life around. CBT is quite remarkable and has a high success rate for those who dedicate themselves to it.

Best wishes.

I second your advice here Cynthia. I am down to only doing the TEA forms a few days a week and feeling the best I have ever felt in my life :)