Mental Support Community

Hello and question about working

Stigmabegone

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have lived with and been medicated for Depression for over 20 years. I have my good times and my bad times, just like all of you do I'm sure. Currently I am having a bad time. I have been to see a psychiatrist - who increased my medications, and I visit a psychologist once a month. My psychologist is wonderful and has really helped me to see myself more clearly. I am following his instructions and working really hard at getting myself better.

The question I have is about working. I have worked with the same company for 13 years but in January I reached the end of my rope. I just couldn't keep pushing myself anymore, something in me broke. I spoke to my doctors my family doctor put me on sick leave from work until April 2nd. April 2nd is almost here and I am not ready to go back to work. I told my doctor but he wants me to go back on April 2nd and try work for two weeks and then go back to see him. That is not going to work for me. I feel that I will completely break if I go back to work on Monday. I go see my psychologist tomorrow and I will talk to him about this. Is it possible though that I have reached a stage in my life with Depression that I will not be able to work outside the home anymore? That is how I feel.

Hi and welcome,

I’ve had depression for years but it is mostly secondary, I think you could say, to a personality disorder. So I’m not sure that I have much to say that would be helpful. I just mostly wanted you to know that I am here and am certainly willing to try to do anything if I can.

I live in a large metropolitan area and there are some support groups here called DBSA – Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance. I know several people who have found them very helpful even though they weren’t that helpful to me. Have you heard of them? They have a website, in-person support groups and online support groups. They have some links to other depression support forums, although DBSA does not support any of them.

Just thought you might be interested, if you didn’t know about them already. It seems like there could be a lot of expertise there to address your question, but I don’t know for sure.

I have checked out your blog, added a comment about bad therapy, and would be happy to contribute here if you want to start a thread about stigma.

Best of luck and again, welcome.

Archived