Mental Support Community

I can't sleep

Stigmabegone

It is now 4:45 a.m. and I am still up. Insomnia once again. I am tired right out because I keep busy all day, but when it comes time to sleep my brain won't turn off. My mind is whirling with thoughts and ideas and I can't get it to stop. I have tried reading, I have tried soaking in a hot tub, I've tried watching movies, I have tried to clear my mind and focus on something peaceful (which for me is the waves). Nothing has worked. I still can't turn my nutty brain off.

What do you do to combat insomnia?:confused:

My psychiatrist prescribed generic Ambien for me. People can become dependent on it but I don’t use it every night. It helps me fall asleep but not stay asleep so sometimes waking up after a few hours is a problem, but not often.

He also suggested melatonin which is available without prescription. You can find it with vitamins, etc. But it made me sleepy the next day, too, so that didn’t work for me as well as the ambien.

Thanks for posting. I have used melatonin and Jamieson's Relax and Sleep. They worked well for a few weeks and then stopped working. Maybe I should talk to my psychologist about the insomnia. I don't want pills to take all the time, I just want something I can take when I am suffering insomnia.

I went to bed and feel asleep around 10 a.m. this morning and slept for about 2.5 hours. I am hoping I'll be able to sleep tonight because I am so tired I am sick to my stomach. My body is sick and yet my brain keeps whirling and won't let me rest.

• 1 month later...

There is other ways to treat insomnia with psychiatrist help, not only with sleeping pills. So, i recommend one visit and informative talk with some good psychotherapist.

I have insomnia problems most in in part of the year in season change. Im sensitive in season change, so my body needs to adapt on new season.

But i think you should visit psychotherapist, he will help for sure!