Mental Support Community

Just a Thought

Solara

I read some of the threads here about needing moderators and people being or feeling ignored. If that is typical then perhaps we need some actual qualified persons acting as alternate administrators. What do you think? I really think this site is understaffed period. I know from where I speak because I have been a moderator on other sites myself. I'm one of those that gets feeling ignored quite easily...erm... yeah. So that is my two cents.

I'm sorry, I do go off like that from time to time. My family thinks I have anger management issues. LOL Well sometimes yes. Pardon my attentions getting nonsense.. IF that is what is was... I just wanted to get going asap and try to figure stuff out. I have a long weekend ahead so I shouldn't be so pushy. Sorry........................... I'm sure you do do you best!

Peace

Solara,

This site may not conform to your expectations, but it has value, I think you will agree. Anyway, you are choosing to use it so that must mean something :D. Staffing is an issue, for sure. What would be required to change here in order to fix the situation, as you see it. I'm curious.

Mark

Thanks for the note, Mark

As for suggestions, I choose this site for the laid back way things seem to be here, and yet I sometimes get anxious about my own needs and problems to the Nth degree so that makes me a tad pushy, but I meant no offense. I think this site has great potential. :D

Yep, more staff is definitely a very good idea. Unfortunately I don't have time to offer help of that kind. *shrugs* And I don't feel qualified to answer mental health questions, in any case. I'm an artist not a shrink. lol :(

Your initial communication (not this one - one in another thread) came across as entitled, more than pushy, at least to my mind. As though you were owed something and it was our collective (and my personal (as community chief admin) responsibility to provide that to you. My initial reaction was defensive and angry. I share that only because it's good to have feedback on how you come across. If you lead with a demanding expectation in other situations like you did here, I'm sure it is the case that people end up attacking you sometimes, and maybe you don't recognize that such attacks are actually defensive in nature, provoked in part by something you have control over. It doesn't generally feel good to be attacked, so possibly this is something you'd like to work on, if only to make it more likely that people will be motivated to help you more often.

I'm over that initial reaction - glad I did not post right away, and let me extend a welcome to the community and a hope that you will get to know us better. One of the nice things about a community of this nature is that since it is expected that the people who come here are dealing with significant and troubling issues, it is easier to forgive people too when they transgress a social norm and fail to follow the golden rule.

Professional admin coverage here is not 100%, and I don't know that even under optimal economic conditions that we'll ever be able to fully devote a staff member professional sort of person to being here. But hopefully, we will have more flexibility in the future as the current crises work themselves out.

Apart from staff issues, the other reason why things are slower here is becuase this community is smaller/slower than some others of a similar nature. This is in part because this community is new - it will have its first birthday in January. Mental Help Net used to have a community for years back some time ago, but it was transitioned to independence about five years ago or more. It is now still operative at www.mentalearth.com and last I saw, it was very healthy and in good hands. You might want to visit them and see if you like it there too.

As you say, there is good potential at this new community. I think this is entirely because of the quality of people who frequent here. Because we are smaller, things are more intimate too, at least that is how it feels to me. But smaller also means slower as people have lives independently of this board, and this is hard to tolerate when you are feeling in a crisis.

Anyway, I expect and hope that over time, this community will grow some - it has grown significantly since we turned it on 11 months ago - and we'll have to see what it evolves into. I hope we can preserve the family feeling that exists here now as we go forward.

Mark

• 1 month later...
Your initial communication (not this one - one in another thread) came across as entitled, more than pushy, at least to my mind. As though you were owed something and it was our collective (and my personal (as community chief admin) responsibility to provide that to you. My initial reaction was defensive and angry. I share that only because it's good to have feedback on how you come across. If you lead with a demanding expectation in other situations like you did here, I'm sure it is the case that people end up attacking you sometimes, and maybe you don't recognize that such attacks are actually defensive in nature, provoked in part by something you have control over. It doesn't generally feel good to be attacked, so possibly this is something you'd like to work on, if only to make it more likely that people will be motivated to help you more often.

I'm over that initial reaction - glad I did not post right away, and let me extend a welcome to the community and a hope that you will get to know us better. One of the nice things about a community of this nature is that since it is expected that the people who come here are dealing with significant and troubling issues, it is easier to forgive people too when they transgress a social norm and fail to follow the golden rule.

Professional admin coverage here is not 100%, and I don't know that even under optimal economic conditions that we'll ever be able to fully devote a staff member professional sort of person to being here. But hopefully, we will have more flexibility in the future as the current crises work themselves out.

Apart from staff issues, the other reason why things are slower here is becuase this community is smaller/slower than some others of a similar nature. This is in part because this community is new - it will have its first birthday in January. Mental Help Net used to have a community for years back some time ago, but it was transitioned to independence about five years ago or more. It is now still operative at www.mentalearth.com and last I saw, it was very healthy and in good hands. You might want to visit them and see if you like it there too.

As you say, there is good potential at this new community. I think this is entirely because of the quality of people who frequent here. Because we are smaller, things are more intimate too, at least that is how it feels to me. But smaller also means slower as people have lives independently of this board, and this is hard to tolerate when you are feeling in a crisis.

Anyway, I expect and hope that over time, this community will grow some - it has grown significantly since we turned it on 11 months ago - and we'll have to see what it evolves into. I hope we can preserve the family feeling that exists here now as we go forward.

Mark

HI Mark!

HOw are you. I stumbled upon this forum a few months ago and come here occasionally to try to create some peace of mine and to check if anybody has responded to any of my posts. I found out this visit though that one of the persons that I was talking with was in fact a retired psychoanalysis and that is very interesting to me. This is very interesting because in high school this is what I wanted to do with my life. I am so excited to be in the company of fellow psychoanalysis! :D Since high school though my life has went in a different path and I was not able to fulfill my destiny of being a psychoanalysis but I am still very much so interested in psychology. As a matter of fact, I was able to choose my topic for my final paper in my college comp II class this term and I have chose to write about personalities and what forms them. I look forward to all the new facts I am going to learn as well. Maybe if any of ya that are reading this has some spare time we can get together on msn or something and maybe I can interview a few of ya's to get some information for my paper! But I just wanted to say hi! and I hope everybody had a great holiday season. I look forward to returning to see what is new with everybody :D

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Worried mother,

Just so you know, I'm the resident "psychoanalyst," although there is not much in the way of psychoanaysis that most practitioners do any more. There is a tendency to be eclectic or use what works best, a kind of combo.

Any questions for your paper, etc, I will see if I can answer if you would like me to.

Allan:)