Mental Support Community

God is too primitive

JaiJai

God is a concept that people constructed to explain the things around them that could not be explained, and to provide moral guidelines for behaviour.

It's startling to me, someone who was not indoctrinated in a religious organization, that people still cling to 'immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing being' based belief systems.

No doubt our beliefs are still radically primitive, and our understanding of the universe..infantile. But it seems to me, at some point we let go of the notion that the sun was pulled over our sky by chariot each day, and we'll also grow beyond many of our current beliefs held about a God or gods.

[media=]

Dr Neil deGrasse Tyson, Astrophysicist

yes, many of the larger, most accepted religions, have some form of deity. although my university didnt offer anything on satanism or cults... i did take quite a number of religous study courses.

In Canada, we have WAY less organized religion than the states, and 99% of the people who are believers of an organized faith, have deities. So, although I did generalize and include a minute percentage of the population in my remark, it certiainly is not an OVERgeneralization. The one big exception is buddhism, where instead of worshipping a god, per se, individuals seek their own personal enlightenment, in an endeavour to escape samsara (cycle of rebirth and death) to nirvana. Even though the states has profoundly more dogmatic believers in religion...how many of those do you think are actually practicing buddhists?

Ahhh here...let wikipedia define god...they are so much more eloquent than i, afterall:

God usually refers to the single deity in monotheism or the monist deity in polytheism.[1] God is often conceived of as the supernatural creator and overseer of humans and the universe. Theologians have ascribed a variety of attributes to the many different conceptions of God. The most common among these include omniscience (infinite knowledge), omnipotence (unlimited power), omnipresence (present everywhere), omnibenevolence (perfect goodness), divine simplicity, and eternal and necessary existence.

Pray tell, darkness..if you worship a god...exactly what do you think your god has?

I very much enjoyed that point of view on the universe... I am not in the least religious, but one could argue that something started the initial star to collapse if the entity is considered god is left to each his own.

yes, many of the larger, most accepted religions, have some form of deity. although my university didnt offer anything on satanism or cults... i did take quite a number of religous study courses.

In Canada, we have WAY less organized religion than the states, and 99% of the people who are believers of an organized faith, have deities. So, although I did generalize and include a minute percentage of the population in my remark, it certiainly is not an OVERgeneralization. The one big exception is buddhism, where instead of worshipping a god, per se, individuals seek their own personal enlightenment, in an endeavour to escape samsara (cycle of rebirth and death) to nirvana. Even though the states has profoundly more dogmatic believers in religion...how many of those do you think are actually practicing buddhists?

Ahhh here...let wikipedia define god...they are so much more eloquent than i, afterall:

God usually refers to the single deity in monotheism or the monist deity in polytheism.[1] God is often conceived of as the supernatural creator and overseer of humans and the universe. Theologians have ascribed a variety of attributes to the many different conceptions of God. The most common among these include omniscience (infinite knowledge), omnipotence (unlimited power), omnipresence (present everywhere), omnibenevolence (perfect goodness), divine simplicity, and eternal and necessary existence.

Pray tell, darkness..if you worship a god...exactly what do you think your god has?

I do not grovel at the feet of gods nor do i pray!

Most accepted religions are monotheistic? What about the pantheistic hinduism? Also I am not in a cult! Not all Satanists even believe in anything spiritual. You are ignorant if you do not realize that monotheism is the exception in history, polytheism and pantheism have longer histories than monotheism, and only TWO major religions are monotheistic. Judaism, at least ancient Judaism, is henotheism.

And Christianity and Islam are very odd in terms of all religions to ever exist, they just got popular for some reason. If your University did not talk about all of the world religions, new movements, and anicent religions, then you should get a refund because the fact is that the vast majority of religions throughout time have not been monotheistic.

I dont think that god is all knowing or powerful, only omni-directional. I d ont think taht humans are teh center of teh universe either. I'm a hard polytheist and a pantheist, with the "creator" being the universe and some distinct entities living after death with whom I have physically interacted with in a specifically ritual and magicakl context, and never out of that.

sorry im kinda irritated right now and maybe a bit manic. also i dont have histroy of hallucinations so dont say i hallucinatied it because ive only ever had them after I realized I was a Satanist, and only in a evocational context. also, SATANISM IS NOT A CULT.

although this may surprise you, darkness, what you think wasnt the motivation of my post, nor was it an attempt to draw you into an argument about your personal belief system.

I don't care if you believe in leprechauns and fairies, my point was that our religious beliefs, as a whole society, are constantly evolving, and currently (at least in western culture) they are moving away from orthodox religious views.

Fact is, i would think pantheism is actually quite in tune with the video i posted. did you even watch the video? or did you jump right into your 'indignant persecution' mode?

I didn't think that I was being persecuted, I just assumed from your text that the video generalized religion. Sorry very recently there have been a number of atheists that have been negatively generalizing religion on a religious forum I frequent.

Also I don't believe in either leprachuans or faries, it's comments like that that really get at us theists, as it's offensive to compare something that has transformed people's lives into such a childish mockery.