Mental Support Community

please help diagnose me

clt55555

Where do I start? I'm suffering major depression, but I would love it if someone could help me pin-point my exact disorder, therefore I can work towards fixing myself.

My mind is always blocked, I can't think straight, there's always something unsettled in my mind. I'm constantly organising myself, the basics, things I need to do, such as organise my cash, or appointments or any other things I need to do or organise. I cannot just relax and have my mind completely free of these thoughts.

As a result of my mind being block, I feel I can't "think outside the square", or think straight at all. I struggle to organise myself but that's about all my mind is capable of these days. I consider myself a fairly intelligent and analytical person. When I was 16 (I'm now 24), I used to be very out-going and had a clear head and was very quick-witted and social. These days I'm the complete opposite.

I can't think clearly enough to be witty, I struggle to get the basics covered. As a result of this problem, I've been less social. As a result of this I've felt down on myself, and extremely insecure, and it's been like this for a number of years now. In the last few years I've tried 2 different anti-depressants and as of about a month ago I'm on anti-psychotics, in hope that my head will become completely clear, I'll be completely confident, and completely happy again.

I've tried really hard to have a positive-look on life, with help from friends and psychologists, but my messy mind strikes me back down to my depressed, insecure self every time. These days I have a very supportive girlfriend which is awesome, and my mum helps me heaps too. I seem to have come to terms with my mental illness, as I've realised and understood it a bit more, but as I've learnt more about it, it has become a lot more exposed.

It hurts to exist, and I want to commit suicide, but I won't for my mum and gf. I feel angry, irritable and impatient, and will often burst into anger and depression. I'm generally a nice guy, so I'll also feel bad for putting this onto my mum and gf.

These anti-psychotics haven't helped me at all, although my mum and gf seem to think they've helped a bit. If anyone could help me diagnose my problem that'd be great. If there's anything I've missed I'll add it later, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks...

Hi clt55555

Where do I start? I'm suffering major depression, but I would love it if someone could help me pin-point my exact disorder, therefore I can work towards fixing myself.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but, this site offers support and guidance and cannot pin point your exact disorder. Only a qualified practioneer can do that.

I can't think clearly enough to be witty, I struggle to get the basics covered. As a result of this problem, I've been less social. As a result of this I've felt down on myself, and extremely insecure, and it's been like this for a number of years now. In the last few years I've tried 2 different anti-depressants and as of about a month ago I'm on anti-psychotics, in hope that my head will become completely clear, I'll be completely confident, and completely happy again.

I can relate to you regarding your social phobia, I am just the same. By the way I too suffer from Manic Depression (Bi-polar Disorder) among other things. You have to learn how to handle your Depression... Yes, Depression is a Mental illness but it doesn't stop you from carrying on with your life, as I've learnt (the hard way)!

Could you not find yourself a hobby or something, join a mental health group like Mind or something? What about going to a drop in centre or volunteering somewhere, of your choice? Just a suggestion to help you cope with the illness till you get back on your feet? What about looking up your illness and the expectations of the effects that this could/will have on your daily living? You also mention the Anti-depressants that your on. Only Two in the last Two Years, your lucky!

I know how your feeling but you've got to fight it! Believe me, your feel better in the long run

Hope this helps.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Clt55555:

Paula is quite correct. We cannot diagnose you or anyone but we can offer support. From what you write you are taking medications. Are you also seeing a psychotherapist. The psychotherapy is just as important as the medication and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can help make a huge difference in helping you feel better.

Allan