Mental Support Community

Sister with "atypical psychosis"

I am the younger sister of a patient diagnosed with "atypical psychosis". Both of the "worst" episodes have been related to the post partum period (3-4 months post partum) and required hospitalization with antipsychotic therapy. But at least 3 episodes have occurred not related to the post-partum period. My family is currently dealing with an episode that has been going on for about 2 months in which my sister is extremely paranoid and anxious. The problem lies in the fact that she does not recognize that she has any mental health issues and finds a way to rationalize everything that has happened. Therefore she is not willing to volunarily accept help from mental health workers and there is nothing my family can do to get her help because she is not threatening to harm herself or others. But her husband has an appointment with divorce laywers tomorrow, he has the ball in motion to remove her kids from her, and my family has been in turmoil for 2 months. Is there ANYTHING we can do to help her deal with this before she loses her entire family.

Any thoughts, comments, advice would be GREATLY appreciated. We are desparate for things to improve.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Madison,

First, let me welcome you to our online support community.

Second, I want to thank you for your very clear description of your dilemma. What comes thru, loud and clear, is how desperate all of you feel about your sister.

As a mentally ill person, your sister is entitled to legal representation in terms of her right to either keep or have access to her children even if their father divorces her. This type of issue probably comes before the family court judge and he will decided in the best interest of the children. The way it goes is that your sister has a right to repesentation, the children have the right to their own representation and the father his own.

However, there is nothing much anyone can do for your sister as long as she denies her mental illness. A judge will not take her children away from her unless she is deemed to be a threat to their safety and well being.

This will not solve her problem because she needs mental health treatment and refuses that.

On an optimistic note, having to face the possibility of losing her children and losing her marriage and having to come before a judge during divorce and custody hearings, might just awaken her to the need for help. Sometimes a crisis can help break through denial so that a person will go and get the help they need.

I have seen situations in which an individual accepts the fact of their mental illness the first time they become sick. More often than this, I have seen situations where it takes a person several breakdowns and hospitalizations before they come to understand that they are ill. There are the few cases in which an individual will not accept their sickness.

What do other members of the community want to contribute in support of Madison?

Allan

Allan -

I thank you for your input - it makes a great deal of sense. What recommendations do you have for us in the meantime (while waiting and hoping for her to acknowledge her illness). She is currently living with my parents and they have had to dramatically change their lives to accept her and her children living with them. Should we allowing her to alter lives around her or is that only enabling her denial? Should we continue to try to get her into therapy sessions or does she need to come to this on her own? Obviously we all just want to make her life eaiser for her but we can't do it for her - but is there anything we can do?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Madison,

All any of you can do is very gently encourage her to enter psychotherapy. It is very difficult for families to cope when a member has a serious mental illness. I suggest that you parents get in touch with a group known as NAMI or the the National Association of those with Mental Illness. They can inform your parents about support groups to help family members of the mentally ill cope with the issue.

Allan

Allan -

I am quite geographically separated from my family so that provides a bit of distance from the day to day events. But it also creates guilt that I am not there to help my family during this tough time. As much as I realize that the things she says sometimes are not things she would say in her normal state - they are often quite difficult to hear. I want to get across to her how much her actions at these times are affecting her family (husband/kids) but trying to balance that with trying to not make her feel bad about herself or her illness is a tough balance. Also - even when she is doing great - I feel like I am constantly looking for "clues" that she is struggling again and I think that has altered our relationship a bit. Although we are still very close and when she is in her worst moments she only really trusts myself and my dad.

I am currrently pregnant and soon to deliver my first child - so with her history of the episodes being brought on by post-partum events I am a little nervous about my potential to have similar problems. I have discussed this with my OB and we have a plan in place in case I do have a similar post-partum response although my OB feels it is unlikely. Other than being concerned about suffering from the same issues after having my baby, I don't think her illness has altered the way that I think about myself.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks

Madison

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Madison,

Yes, you have answered my question. It is no surprise to me that you are worried about your self and how you will feel after you give birth. It is good to hear that you Doctor is being reassuring. If you do feel your self feeling depressed after giving birth, or soon after, do not hesitate to report this to your MD and get the necessary help. I am sure that you will have a joyour delivery and a wonderful time raising your baby. It is good to hear that you are alert and have discussed your concerns with your Doc.

Allan:)