Mental Support Community

medication fears

I know that my Dr is going to want to give meds to me but I am totally scard of ALL meds, I want things to be better but I question even if they know what exactly it is going on, like a diagnosis because they never say anything, I don't understand why they ask so much detail when it seems pointless in direction. I know that they think I am depressed but I feel like there is more to this but the direction of questions and my fear to talk about anything stops me from really opening up, even here I just can't shake this. I sort of keep thinking of just stopping everything.

I recall a documentary that followed a few people and their experiences with depression. Those who were prescribed medication needed to go through a vetting process of sorts to determine which drugs were effective. I imagine these detailed questions you mention are a part of this vetting process which enables your doctor to decide what to prescribe to you. So please be patient with your doctor, and try to answer the questions as completely as you can.

But, regarding this fear of talking about anything, is there a particular concern you have that keeps you from speaking freely?

Guest ASchwartz

Hi forgeting,

I agree with Kaudio, what makes you fearful about talking. Also, how do you know that your therapist will want you to take medications? How do you know that medications won't help? Are you getting psychotherapy?

Allan

Medication is only part of treatment. It is not A cure. I understand how hard it can be to talk about stuff, especially when your use to keeping things to yourself. but, usually during the first session questions are asked, so the counselor or Psych. doctor will help you feel more comfortable. It gets easier to talk about things the more you go and feel comfortable.

the Dr has suggested this before but I wanted to wait but now I have waited so long and I think they just want to get on with things, I understand this but I just can't trust this.

I don't like to talk about this in life because I feel like I can't discribe it, I am embarassed to tell them everything. I feel like they judge me, like when I leave all I see is them shaking there head like how horrable am I. I think about what I have said and I regret it. Either I think if I open all up they will say I am fine but just immature, horrible person that can't get it together, stop wasting there time, or they will not let me come home. How can I know what to expect.

I know that my Dr is going to want to give meds to me but I am totally scard of ALL meds, I want things to be better but I question even if they know what exactly it is going on, like a diagnosis because they never say anything, I don't understand why they ask so much detail when it seems pointless in direction. I know that they think I am depressed but I feel like there is more to this but the direction of questions and my fear to talk about anything stops me from really opening up, even here I just can't shake this. I sort of keep thinking of just stopping everything.

Hi Nightfalls,

I understand your fear of meds, the last 5 years I have tried over 20 different kinds to try and improve my mental health. While some have been successful short term many were hazardous to my physical health. Like you I didn't understand why all the detail but after a few med reactions I now see at least one good reason why.

I also found it difficult to talk to anyone about what was happening for me. I spent the last 12 months focusing on getting myself to talk during therapy sessions. The spin off effect has resulted in me talking more to other medical staff like my psychiatrist. Now that I have been a little more open and honest, my care has been much more effective. The key for me was learning to talk. It is hard, it is uncomfortable, but it is possible. I admit I still struggle with the talking thing, and I still want to stop everything including my meds. But now I at least have moments where I actually feel worthy of having a voice about my care, that I do matter to others. It is small but at least I can draw strength from this moment before I see the psychiatrist and allow myself to ask the questions I need answered before I make the choice of medication changes etc.

Only you can decide if you take prescribed medication or not, so you will have control. I don't know but I have reached points where for me meds have been the only option. So I have at least tried and then decided if it was helping or not.

It is not an easy decision and it is scary. Good luck.

Take care Nightfalls

Guest ASchwartz

Confused12 and Nightfalls,

Right on, confused, I agree fully.:)

By the way, and I have said this before, the answer is never just medication, it is therapy. And, if talking a lot does not work then there is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which is more structured and there is Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) which is like Cognitive Behavioral but includes meditation and relaxation so that you learn how to overcome fears and inhibitions. For these you need to find a therapist who is trained in these things.

In my experience as a therapist, there are those people who are helped by medication but there are some who are not. But, the key is the psychotherapy and the type of psychotherapy.

Allan:)