Mental Support Community

Addictions to myspace and facebook!!!

I'm 24 years old and I'm addicted to both myspace and facebook!!! I can't stay off of them I'm currently off both of them now, but I jump on and off. I'm not sure if this an addiction or impulse, but I want to stay off of them. they're not good for me mentall I'm suffering from depression and I'm getting treatment. Facebook and myspace makes me want to pretend to be this happy person when I'm not it's like on line you can hide your true feeling and emotions. You can put up a pretty pic and make ppl think you're happy all the time. Looking at fb just makes me sick. I need help overcoming this!!!! Any sugesstion would be nice!!! Thank you!!!!:eek:

Guest ASchwartz

Hi AndreaB,

In general, the Internet can be addicting and one of the reasons for that is that it is a convenient place to hide. First, even though everyone on facebook appears happy, has it occurred to you that many of them are hiding out as well as you? Second, the Internet feels anonymous and, therefore, safe for a lot of people.

What are you doing for real socializtion: as in going out of the house, having real friends, dating and really socializing? And, do you have a job?

Allan :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all thank you for your replies. I'm actually trying to join a sorority to get more exposer to people. I want to socialize more. I'm also takign a break from my boyfriend because I spent to much time with him. I have a few activities I'm doing the rest of this week and I'm really trying just some days are harder than others. No I never thought that other people would be hiding behind fasades on facebook too. Hmmm. Well anyway I'm trying really hard to stay off of facebook and myspace I still have a problem but I'm trying. Sorry this reply is so late!!!! Thanks much!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ASchwartz

Hi AndreaB,

Self control is very important but, in addition, continue to use us to help you with this. Addictions are hard to beat.....I guess that is why they are addictions! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi AndreaB,

Try joining in a chatroom to where you can talk to more people. It's therapeutic because you can pour out your emotions to someone who doesn't know you. It's like venting out. It's safer here because your identity is also hidden so it is risk free. In chatroom, it's comfortable to talk almost anything because no one knows you and you don't have to pretend. You can be your real self there. Get to know more people with similarity to you. Connect with them and I know you'll be happy. :o