Mental Support Community

Obsessed?

worrieddd

Hi,

i posted in another category and it helped alot, but now i have a new issue.

just today i was having a conversation with some of my friends about what my school will remember me for(im graduating from my school this week, end of grade 8,) and they said one of them would be my obsession with airplanes. i don't think they meant it as a bad thing, but it made me realize that i really am more obsessed than i think.:( i have been mesmerized with airplanes since i first flew when i was 9 and i really enjoyed having this interest, it was a big part of my life. but now i realize that i think about airplanes almost all the time, like when im not doing something, i will think of how cool they are, my favorite ones. I like to draw and paint them, my past two long term school projects were about aeronautics and airports, i have a zillion models, and instead of playing videogames i prefer doing flight simulator.

i know this is obviously more or less an obsession, but im wondering whether its such a bad thing. i LIKE liking airplanes alot,:D its fun and it provides something to do, i just dont want to be thought of as a retard for it.

i find actual flight on airplanes relatively boring,:rolleyes: its the thing itself that i find cool.

i do tend to worry about things, like having a brain tumor, or my last one i posted already,which i do get over eventually.

Edited by worrieddd

Sounds more like a dream than an obsession, to me.

Do you worry about airplanes, at all? If not, it's probably not a problem.

Obsessing about whether airplanes are an obsession, on the other hand ... ;-)

Don't worry about anything except worrying too much. How's that?

lol thanks, :rolleyes:

I think it is virtually impossible for me to be scared of flying, if thats what you mean. nobody avoids me because of this, i dont see myself as an outcast, but not as popular as some other kids. i guess my question was whether it was unhealthy and weird for me to like something this much. i don't dream about airplanes, but i fantasize about them, say when im walking down the hall by myself, or sitting in a car etc.

i just want to be able to do all the airplane fanatic stuff i normally do for fun without feeling like im messed up.

Edited by worrieddd

That's what I was saying: if it doesn't hurt you and it doesn't hurt others, I don't see how it could be all that messed up.

Thinking about airplanes, if that's what you want to think about and it doesn't keep you from doing stuff you need to do, doesn't seem like anything to worry about.

My point was that some people will worry about anything, and if they don't have something to worry about, they make one up. It's the worry that can get to be a problem.

Ah this takes me back to my teen years ... I LOVED airplanes ... I was collecting the new Air Power Journals and tacking posters to my bedroom walls. I spent hours playing F-29 Retaliator on my Amiga 500.

worrieddd your probably just worrying about worrying ... a 'meta-worry' lol. I think anxiety is very common with adolecants. It's a time of rampant physical and mental growth, and it's a pain in the ass. But it's worth it :rolleyes:

Something that used to help me a lot was going for long bike rides, especially if it was with friends.

Edited by silentmist

thats definitely part of the problem. i feel like everyday i come across something to worry about. whether it be this or a health thing or a sex related things. the doctor thinks im a hypocondriact or whatever.

i never was truly worried about this, but more that I will have to stop liking planes. i can seriously name every commercial aircraft there is cuz those are my favorite,:P

and ive met some kids like me over the internet who are like me, it just suddenly felt weird when my friends commented about it. besides its not like i dont like to do other things to.

and unfortunately i have to wait a couple weeks to get a new bike for my b-day, the one i have now is a piece of crap. i agree, biking is one of my favorite sports.

Edited by worrieddd