Mental Support Community

whats the point??

I have to ask myself that. been to the hospital. got back on meds. all they do is make me tired and sad. they may help with the thoughts and hallucinations, but all I can manage to do is drag myself around and barely do anything.

i am asking myself what is the point to any of it? I don't feel better. so why bother?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Nancyannee,

Just to repeat, medications help but you need psychotherapy as well. Do you have a therapist, I do not remember? If you do not, you need to get one fast. The tiredness will pass as your body adjusts to the medication. However, psychotherapy is vitally important.

Allan ;)

Do you have any chance to give feedback to the prescribing doctor, Nancy? They should be told how things are affecting you, in case there's anything they can do about it. The point is to help you, and a big issue with medication is getting people to keep taking it. The only way that will happen is if they can adjust it so that it helps you, so they ought to be motivated to get that to happen.

Hi nancyannee,

I think i understand where you are coming from ( too well !) Finding medications that can work, finding the right dose and with the least side effects. Now that can feel like it takes forever and it does take time, time we feel we don't have when we feel desperate.

Nancy, were you taking medication before you went into hospital?

Speak to your doctor about your medication and the problems you are having, see what your doctor has to say about it.

Therapy is a good idea, it's helped me to start to deal with things!

Medication can help with symptons of an illness but not generally the cause when it comes to mental illness. So we end up having to work at both ends, medication and therapy, to make a complete treatment programe work!

That's just my view anyway,

Keep in touch,

Hugs Tracey

Edited by tracey.f

Nancy, were you taking medication before you went into hospital?

no tracey. i wasn't. but EVERYTIME I attempt to get on medication, all they will put me on is Depakote. I beg them to try something else, because I always stop taking it....

I have my first therapy session in the morning. nervous nervous I am....

Hi Nancy, how are you doing ?

I always get nervous about group things, well initially but the first step is always the hardest one to take. Hopefully it will be easier next time around!

I see my doc tomorrow, i don't really want to go!

Do you want to trade places? :o

Medication, that is a tough one ! I can't answer that one for you, how strongly do you really feel about it?

Hugs Tracey

Do you want to trade places?
LOL if only...

Medication, that is a tough one ! I can't answer that one for you, how strongly do you really feel about it?

pretty strong. i can't function. the group thing went okay today. i just sat there and listened mostly.....it was all I could do not to fall asleep!

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Nancyannee,

Three questions:

1. Why do you stop taking Depakote and,

2. If you stop it, why don't they change the medication?

3. Group therapy can be really, really good. What is there about it that makes you not like it and do you take advantage of it to talk about your problems?

Allan :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi nancy and all,

If they know that you keep not taking the medication that they keep putting you on then... they should try you on another!

I am going through the same dilemma at the moment where as the medication they are giving me is just monging me out and that is something that I don't want! I want medication to make me feel better not make me tired all the time. My GP is going mad because I stop taking them, but... unless he changes it I would rather do without!

3. Group therapy can be really, really good. What is there about it that makes you not like it and do you take advantage of it to talk about your problems?

The thing with group Therapy is... it is alright if you don't suffer from social situations like I do. I also agree with Therapy being on a one to one basis as a lot of issues discussed are confidential. It takes me all the time to talk to my Therapist, let alone in a group session!

I may of gone of track a little bit on this post but I think I know what nancy's frustration is all about?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...