Mental Support Community

Well guess who's back? (can be viewed as long, or not)

WinterSky

You may not know me, or wish you didn't, but here I am. I hope all is well with everyone here at the forums. I need some advice from anyone who's been there, or perhaps hasn't. I would love to hear from you.

I recently went to the hospital last week and it, in itself, was a nightmare. I just started typing it out and it is a really really long story. But in the end, I found it rather counterproductive. I was there for my own reasons, my own problems; not for the problems developing in me because of my being there. (i.e., I needed someone to talk to and they said "when we have time"... then I told one of the staff that I felt like a ticking time bomb and she said my pdoc and T "will be here in the morning". :eek:)

So now I am in outpatient treatment. That's the only way I could get out of the hospital. Now I am in this program and again I find it counterproductive. The nurse is wonderful. So is this other lady who leads this other group. But in our group it seems so structured and rigid that I find it more productive to just stay at home and write in my journals. But alas, that is so lonely.

The therapist who leads this group seems to focus on some people more than others. Bet ya can't guess who was one of those who got left out? And then the pdoc I saw inpatient is also my pdoc in outpatient, and today he gave me just a few minutes and cut me off when I was talking because he ran out of time. I don't like being in situations like this where you need to share your business with people you don't know and vice versa. I am not a very trusting person.

Well anyways, what other options do you see other than inpatient or outpatient? I need more help than once a week visits to my T. I love my pdoc to death, but you can only fit so much in 15 minutes.

Oh I just had one idea, there's a group there for seniors and I could probably talk to the leader there. She and I hit it off well. Okay so I am just a youngster of 49, but I just love being around mature people. ;)

Well anyways, thanks for listening. :)

That's to be said first off.

i totally agree with you that there are times when that 15 min time limit just isn't enough to get out all you need to. i have found that going in with a page of stuff i've written down between visits seems to help. that way you feel like you are hitting more of the major topics that you'd like to cover. nothing worse than leaving the pdoc's office and kicking y'self over that one BIG thing you forgot to mention.

Journaling helps to organize all the crap from my brain so i can go back later and pull out what seems most important. This works for the tdoc appts, too.

Plus, if something doesn't get covered and it remains on the Very Important List after you've left, you could always call one of your docs (if you have that kind of relationship.)

Don't know if this helps but that's just one way i've found around it.

i went to a community mental health clinic for years and did not have such a relationship. instead, i'd call and say 'hey, yeah, i'm suicidal today can i talk to my p'doc' and the reply would be 'no, but you can come in and see a nurse' (who would always then run to see the pdoc 'cause they had no idea how to handle things.) So i know how frustrating it is to not be able to get in there and say your whole piece and feel understood.

Hi WinterSky

I'm Jj

Sorry I am quite new to this community, I have only been here since July. But hey welcome back !!!

I am currently in a p/hospital, long story I have been in hospital for a couple of months now.

I can totaly relate to your recent in patient experience,

Its quite commical (in a sad way) when I first arrived, I was told to "just ask" if I needed to talk or anything. I soon realised that when I asked for help "in a minute " never came. So I gave up asking !!!

Then, I would get the nurses popping in my room every 15 mins and ask if "I was alright" if i said "yes", they would just walk on out my room, heres the funniest thing, if I answered "no", they still walked straight on out of my room. Classic.

I hope that your Out patient treatment helps, and that soon they start to take notice of you, it must be really frustrating feeling so left out.

Sorry I cant be of much help. just wanted to let you know i understand, that and to say hi

So hi ya !!!

Take care

Jj

Hi WinterSky

I'm Jj

Sorry I am quite new to this community, I have only been here since July. But hey welcome back !!!

I am currently in a p/hospital, long story I have been in hospital for a couple of months now.

I can totaly relate to your recent in patient experience,

Its quite commical (in a sad way) when I first arrived, I was told to "just ask" if I needed to talk or anything. I soon realised that when I asked for help "in a minute " never came. So I gave up asking !!!

Then, I would get the nurses popping in my room every 15 mins and ask if "I was alright" if i said "yes", they would just walk on out my room, heres the funniest thing, if I answered "no", they still walked straight on out of my room. Classic.

I hope that your Out patient treatment helps, and that soon they start to take notice of you, it must be really frustrating feeling so left out.

Sorry I cant be of much help. just wanted to let you know i understand, that and to say hi

So hi ya !!!

Take care

Jj

Well it means a lot that you listened and understood. Means a great deal.

One word out of your post really stood up: comical. :eek: Did you know I even called crisis hotline and they didn't answer their phone. Then I called my pdocs office and tried to get some help. The lady who answered knew I was calling from the hospital and so I lost all credibility. One last thing. I did find a wonderful therapist and she listened very well

It was the middle of the night and I was sleeping. I had been crying and this therapist asked, "are you alright?" I expained all that happened. So we spent several hours just talking and listening and sharing our stories. But guess what? She was my roommate. I value that time talking with her. It was the only comfort I took from that place.

That's to be said first off.

i have found that going in with a page of stuff i've written down between visits seems to help. that way you feel like you are hitting more of the major topics that you'd like to cover. nothing worse than leaving the pdoc's office and kicking y'self over that one BIG thing you forgot to mention.

I do that as well! I write everything. I even send faxes to my pdoc and T when I just want to communicate something. The squeaky wheel you know. ;)

Journaling helps to organize all the crap from my brain so i can go back later and pull out what seems most important. This works for the tdoc appts, too.

You know, I quit journaling for a few months and just realized why (not important here). I can solve many problems journalling. But talking to folks can bring more insight to the problems solving and collecting new ideas are just terrific.

Thankx for your post. :)

Hi WinterSky

Yeah, maybe i should of added ironic, to comical,

Sometimes the only sense you get comes from the patients. But then i guess its coz there on your level.

But i guess hospital isnt really that bad (honest lol.)

Ive been moved to a different one now (thankgod) and now well sometimes i wish that they would just leave me alone !!!

But i am there for a reason , to get better !!!

And although i cant wait to escape, seriously, at least im still breathing, and for now i know this is the safest place for me.

Take care

Jj