Mental Support Community

Overreacting and Knee jerk reactions

Beyondreach

Here is my story. I overreact to certain situations and take things to heart more than a normal person. Instead of sitting back and analyze the situation I have a knee jerk reaction. I seem to read into things to much and take everything I don't like to hear as criticism. I strive for reassurance from those who are close to me. Most people seem to let negative things bounce off of them...but I...on the other hand obsess over them. Take them to heart and these thoughts eat away at me. I constantly worry...don't sleep well...and am tired of taking so many different meds. One to make me less anxious, one to help with anxiety, one to help me stay focused, one to help me sleep at night. I feel like a drug addict with all these medications. Are they helping or just masking?

I meet with a couselor on a somewhat regular basis in addition to a Dr who seems to prescribe another drug every time I ask him questions. I really want to get to the root of all of this and make it better. It makes me sad that I am the way I am. I want to change this characteristic about myself but not sure where to start. Is there a diagnosis or name for what I am describing? Is there any info or studies on this out there?

Thanks

beyondreach

Here is my story. I overreact to certain situations and take things to heart more than a normal person. Instead of sitting back and analyze the situation I have a knee jerk reaction. I seem to read into things to much and take everything I don't like to hear as criticism. I strive for reassurance from those who are close to me. Most people seem to let negative things bounce off of them...but I...on the other hand obsess over them. Take them to heart and these thoughts eat away at me. I constantly worry...don't sleep well...and am tired of taking so many different meds. One to make me less anxious, one to help with anxiety, one to help me stay focused, one to help me sleep at night. I feel like a drug addict with all these medications. Are they helping or just masking? Hi Beyondreach-- you seem to really be struggling to the point of exhaustion and being immobilized. Years ago, I struggled with severe anxiety as part of my PTSD and slept 2-3 hours per night. I finally took myself to the ER b/c I thought I was going crazy (I was not admitted but it marked a turning point).

Can you list your meds and dosage... this would help us see the picture a bit more clearly.

I meet with a couselor on a somewhat regular basis Can you describe the nature of the treatment (e.g., Does he give it a name? What type of homework are you getting? Are you exploring any negative self talk or irrational beliefs in a challenging way?)

in addition to a Dr who seems to prescribe another drug every time I ask him questions. I really want to get to the root of all of this and make it better. This is why you have a therapist and MD. On your next MD visit, ask for real help. Too many people walk in and out with new meds and dosages and accept the MD's words as if spoken by Moses himself. You're a full partner in your own treatment, take a lead role, ask questions and insist on honest and detailed answers. Accept nothing less. You wouldn't accept a "half-assed" job from your plumber, electrician or mechanic!

It makes me sad that I am the way I am. I want to change this characteristic about myself but not sure where to start. Is there a diagnosis or name for what I am describing? On your next visit to the MD, ask for a diagnosis and recommendations for psychotherapy treatment. Do your MD and therapist communicate about your condition. Your therapist should also be discussing this with you, have a treatment plan and clear outcomes of treatment. Is there any info or studies on this out there? Once we have a clear diagnosis, we can link you to studies and articles on this site.

Finally, I think JP's idea of checking in with friends and getting feedback is excellent. Be careful not to turn this into another issue where their feedback becomes a new measuring stick.

Thanks

beyondreach

Good luck, I hope this helps. Please write back so we can be of more help.

David

Edited by David O

Before I reply to your questions, I want to thank both of you for taking the time providing such detailed feedback. It is obvious a lot of thought and time went into your responses.

David, you asked the meds and dosages I am currently taking.

Zoloft 150mg-anxiety

Zanax 0.5mg-anxiety

ambien 5mg-to sleep

adderall 20mg-to focus

Currently I chat with my counselor about my everyday strugles in life. We/I practice cbt for my anxiety. The more I dig...the more I am starting to realize that my anxiety is caused by these overblown thoughts. Maybe I have only been treating the "condition to my condition?"

He gives me homework by writing down my stressfull situations. What I think that causes the anxiety...then to write what the worse outcome can possibly be...then how that will actually effect me. Finally write down the final outcome of my situation. More often than not, the things that cause my anxiety...I cannot remember them the following week.

You ask me....Are you exploring any negative self talk or irrational beliefs in a challenging way?) I don't think we've discussed anything like this. Can you elaborate?

Yes, I do want to get to the root of all of this. I am sure it something deeply rooted and imbedded I've grown up with. Trust me...I don't want to be a human pez dispensor of drugs. I hate it. I hate taking them. As a matter of fact, I met with my Dr. the other day and he took me off the adderall. It only caused me to have headaches, more anxiety, and sleeplessness. It did not help me focus....although I have been focusing better only because I have been so much more selfconsious of my situations.

My therapist and MD have never spoken. I didn't know they even did such a thing. I have mentioned my Dr. to my theripist and vice versa, but neither of them really reacted to my response. I just thought this was normal. Although, I am beginning to question what is normal and commonplace.

My MD says I suffer from Anxiety, a bit of depression, and possibly AADD.

Yes, JP's idea is an excellent idea.

I had a reality check when wife sat down with me the other night and "said it how it is". She explained to me that I over react towards things. I knew this...but she really did ground me by telling me something that must have been very difficult for her to say. All these years...I have blown up or over reacted to people. I feel quite ashamed when I look back at those situations.

Again, thank you for your input.