Mental Support Community

Phobia

lacyjay87

Every day it is a struggle for me to get things done that need to be done due to having to leave the security of my own home. I hate the idea of getting in to a car for the fact that I might wreck and/or die (Amaxophobia- Fear of riding in a car). I remember preferring to walk-up the many flights of stairs rather than endure the panic and fear which would invariably develop while using an elevator. I went into the ice room and was intentionally locked inside by playmates. The darkness and the feeling that I might not be able to get out triggered feelings of panic. Here are some more of my phobieas

Achluophobia- Fear of darkness.

Agoraphobia- Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets. Fear of leaving a safe place.

Agoraphobia- Fear of streets or crossing the street.

Batrachophobia- Fear of amphibians, such as frogs, newts, salamanders

Bogyphobia- Fear of bogeys or the bogeyman.

Chiroptophobia- Fear of bats.

Claustrophobia- Fear of confined spaces.

Cleithrophobia or Cleisiophobia- Fear of being locked in an enclosed place.

Gerascophobia- Fear of growing old.

Glossophobia- Fear of speaking in public or of trying to speak.

Monophobia- Fear of solitude or being alone.

Hi Lacy ~ Jay,

What is it that panics you so much aboout leaving the security of your home ?

If its only the fear of driving then maybe you could use alternative forms of transport. I know your a moma, and essentialy staying indoors is not really an option for you. also not a very productive solution.

A couple of years ago after a really bad incident where my ex b/f tried to kidnap my son, I was terribly afraid of leaving the security of the womens ref, that I had been relocated to. Seriously scared, of getting found and having to relocate again. Even these days I panic big time when a car slows down near me. (especially when my children were with me).

How I manage this fear (coz its one that will always be with me) is to just take a deep breath and try and remain calm, and concentrate on what the task ahead is. Also I take precautions for safety reasons. (ie panic alarms ) I always made sure that if I needed or wanted to go somewhere it was at times of the day when there are plenty of people around, so that if I needed help, it was easily obtainable. etc...........

Ok, what Im trying to say is, what is it that you most fear will happen if you leave the house. And maybe if you can identify what the major reason for your phobia is, then you will be better able to find some solutions that can ease your fear.

Hope this helps a little

Take care

Jj