wabi sabi

katleen

Japenese Zen term

WHAT IS WABI-SABI?

The Japanese view of life embraced a simple aesthetic

that grew stronger as inessentials were eliminated

and trimmed away.

-architect Tadao Ando

Pared down to its barest essence, wabi-sabi is the Japanese art of finding beauty in imperfection and profundity in nature, of accepting the natural cycle of growth, decay, and death. It's simple, slow, and uncluttered-and it reveres authenticity above all. Wabi-sabi is flea markets, not warehouse stores; aged wood, not Pergo; rice paper, not glass. It celebrates cracks and crevices and all the other marks that time, weather, and loving use leave behind. It reminds us that we are all but transient beings on this planet-that our bodies as well as the material world around us are in the process of returning to the dust from which we came. Through wabi-sabi, we learn to embrace liver spots, rust, and frayed edges, and the march of time they represent.

A very good friend told me about this word, or concept. Mostly we think of it as not having to reach a standard of some perfection, but that we're beautiful as we are.

Thanks to all of you for being here and so open

about stuff. What comfort.

katleen:)

I like that concept a lot. I've pared down my belongings quite a bit in the last years, and I find that my needs are diminishing again as I reeamine what is really essential to my life. I like that concept of having old and weathered things around you too... I like anything where I can feel the energy of the artisan in the work. Those are the only ones that come alive for me.

I think we will all need to learn about wabi-sabi very soon if we are going to get humanity out of this overconsumption mess!

So are there things one can do to cultivate this state of mind???

i like that concept too im glad you shared it with us...wouldnt trade or give up my insanity for anything...although i could do without the depression, and lack of motivation although im sure if i wasnt depressed id have motivation....you just gotta find the good in life, even if at first it seems like a problem.

Hey...! :)

I'm a huge fan of wabi sabi, in fact I almost never buy ANYTHING new! Socks and undies yes, Occasionally shoes, but everything else I own is old and well worn, and I like it that way, really.

I also feel like it's more "green". I'm supporting charities by shopping at thrift stores, and leaving less of a consumption footprint... and not partaking of the religion of consumer culture.

I find the coolest stuff, for so cheap!

Okay I'll shut up now, but yep! I love wabi-sabi!

Archived