Mental Support Community

Side effect or physical problem?

Proverbs31:28

Bear with me, as I am not sure how to phrase this!

About 18 months ago, when I was first placed on Trazadone for sleep, I began having severe dizzy spells. It was initially contributed to the Trazadone as a side effect but, after seeing my GP, I was diagnosed with a mild case of Vertigo. It resolved within a couple of weeks on its own.

Recently, I have been having weird physical sensations but not sure if they are med-related or something else and I am not sure how to tell. I have not had any med adjustments since September, 2007 so there is no new med to blame. But, I keep having brief, fleeting episodes of being off-balance or that the room is spinning (brief= less than 30 seconds).

When I have panic attacks, I have been feeling very light-headed and dizzy, to the point that if I don't sit down or grab something I will topple over. I have always felt light headed with panic attacks but this is much more obvious to me and the dizziness is almost disabling.

Today, I noticed that, if I am standing when I have the feeling of being off balance I have to sit down or fall over. This is unrelated to any actual panic attack.

I cannot tell if this is all related to the anxiety, the meds or something else all together! Does anyone have any ideas on how to distinguish?

Check back again with your doctor. Many meds cause what is called orthostatic hypotension, meaning your blood pressure drops a lot when you stand up, causing the dizzy sensation.

Another good person to check with is your pharmacist. Pharmacists are often underutilized professionals who know far more about meds & their interactions than most docs do. :)

Catmom

Hi-

This sounds like a disturbing symptom.... be careful :)

I agree with Catmom- check with your primary car dr. and your pharmacist. Could be related to medication, or it could be another issue-

anxiety, inner ear infection, vestibular problem, heart/blood pressure issue, etc. It's best to have a professional work through and rule out all of the possibilities rather than to ignore and/or self-diagnose.

You do need to see your doctor. You could be having a reaction to the med, or it could be something unrelated like an inner ear infection.

Let me say, though, that when I was on Trazodone for sleep, several years ago, it worked too well. I had to take it when I was already in bed, because it would zonk me out *that* fast. And then I stayed groggy all throughout the next day. Not good.

Let me say, though, that when I was on Trazodone for sleep, several years ago, it worked too well. I had to take it when I was already in bed, because it would zonk me out *that* fast. And then I stayed groggy all throughout the next day. Not good.

Yes, Trazadone, when it works for me, works well! In fact, I usually only take 1/2 of the prescribed dose UNLESS I know I don't have to do anything, go anywhere, or interact with anyone. Unfortunately, when my anxiety is really out of control, even a full dose of Trazadone does very little for me. I've been on the Trazadone since 12/06, so I don't think it would suddenly start causing me problems- though I'd never dismiss the possibility outright! I am starting to lean toward it be a symptom of anxiety though I plan to mention it to my doc and get his input as well.