Mental Support Community

Helpfull?

nearlydead

This is an articule I found on the web that I have hacked up to suit me. I printed it off and read it every morning with my coffee, and then get straight into the shower. Its sets me up for the day ahead to fight my own brain. It sounds a bit hokey the first 50 times you read it, but it does help me. copy and paste it into word and then print it off.

ACCEPTANCE

Self acceptance is being loving and happy with who you are NOW. It’s an agreement with yourself to appreciate, validate, accept and support who you are at this very moment, even those parts you’d like to eventually change. This is important..... Yes, you can accept those parts of yourself you want to change some day.

The idea that we ourselves create who we are, can for many be terrifying. We associate responsibility with guilt and blame. At first we want to turn away from this responsibility and the power suggested in that concept. The power over who you are. It can be overwhelming to some. But with that responsibility comes a freedom that no country can offer you and no man can give you.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.”

RESPONSIBILITY. Claim your beliefs, feelings and actions as your own. Take back the reins of ownership, responsibility, and consequential control that comes with ownership. Let’s take that outstretched finger we’ve been pointing at everyone else, and turn it back towards ourselves. Not in blame, guilt or judgement, but for answers and growth.

How often do you base whether you’ll be happy or not, on the circumstances and conditions in your life? When this happens, I’ll be happy. When I get this house, car, relationship, job, this problem is solved, have self esteem, get out of this marriage (the list is endless)..... Then I’ll be happy.

What if you happiness was..... More important than changing? More important than getting what you want? More important than making more money? More important than being fit? More important than having friends? More important than being respected? More important than having the right job? More important than being in a great relationship?

What if you could be happy while pursuing the things you want? Who’s to say you can’t? Is there any reason you can’t experience joy while creating the life you want? What we focus on becomes larger in our lives. If you focus on feeling happy, you will feel happier. Consider this. If you don’t’ have to use unhappiness to motivate yourself to accomplish something you could pursue you desires while being happy. You could feel good, right here, right now. It’s all about setting the intention to feel good at the top of your list. One of the surprising and amazing results of making happiness important in your life, is how much more effective you will be at creating what you want!

Happiness is an accepting, non judgemental perspective for being. It is the practice in everyday life, of making happiness, love and acceptance our highest priority. The obvious benefit of such an approach is that we can begin to view the events in our lives in a new and powerfully different way. Rather than seeing life as a series of obstacles or hurdles to be overcome, we begin to see it as offering a host of opportunities from which to learn and grow.

Do you have to be unhappy about a given situation? Suppose you backed your car into another car, and you said to yourself “am I required to feel upset now? Is it required? Does it help? No! Then chose to be happy.

Unhappiness lives in the past or the future, there is no unhappiness in the present. What are you unhappy about? Is it about something that might happen in the future or something that happened in the past? When we spend time regretting the past or worrying about the future, there isn’t’ room for happiness in the present. When you bring your awareness to the moment of now, all worries of the past and all imagined fears of the future gently fade away until all that left is the vivid experience of the present. It is in this state that you actually start to see life. You’ll see colours you never saw before. It is in this awareness where appreciation grows. Happiness is not experienced in the past or in the further. Happiness is always experienced in the moment. If you are waiting to be happy sometime in the future you will always be waiting.

Is the world cruel or kind? Filled with pain or joy? Is it hostile or friendly? Brutal or gentle? Is it filled with misery or hope? Which is it? Expanding your perspective isn’t about becoming blind to reality, it’s choosing a perspective that is mostly likely to help you create the life you want, one that encourages happiness and joy. Optimistic or pessimistic? You have a decision to make. Which are you going to focus on? Which are you going to pay the most attention? Which perspective are you going to see its totality? Which perspective are you going to make the most dominant? The optimistic perspective is more encouraging of happiness than pessimism. What you look for you will find. When you change your perspective, you change your experience of the world. It’s all a matter of intention. Which perspective do you intend to focus on? Being optimistic allows you to turn disadvantages into advantages and feel more hopeful.

I choose to be happy today knowing I can always work on the things I want to change

Yeh, I know, long post init:)

Hey ND , well , the ideas expressed on your post remind me so much about the buddhism tenet of being awake , and mindful in the now, from moment to moment ; the past and the future no more than distractions in the act of being alive in the here and now, where life is in fact lived.Also it teaches that we should not let our characters be defined by the string of random events that dot our ever changing lives , some 'happy' some 'unhappy' ; that we control who we are , that we have absolute and complete power over who we are at every waking moment if we choose to let go of fear. Fear being the foremost obstacle in this business of living our lives.

Archived