Mental Support Community

Trichtillomania

I recently discovered what the name of my problem was. I thought for the longest time that I was just the odd one out, the weird girl who pulled her hair out but I found that I am not.

It is the uncontrollable urge to pull hair from different parts of the body. It has only recently been classified as a mental disorder and so not much research has been done on the subject as it only affects 1 to 3.4 percent of the population. Sadly I can't afford to get the help I need, and I can't change my brain chemistry haha.

I guess I just feel sort of alone, and I don't know what to do. I don't want to end up bald, and its really embarrasing. Any advice? Anybody else going through the same thing?

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't feel lonely if I were you, I do in general, but not about the hairpulling thing. That's the only thing we all have in common, I pull my eyelashes, and literally their all gone. It's especially annoying when people ask me about it, do you have people like that? I just ignore them, I have a boyfriend and he's never noticed cause i use eyeliner, I'm dreading the day he notices'...

Cady,

I tend to think you're wrong about the utility of reading other's stories. Doing so has a normalizing effect on many people who before learning that they are not the only people who do this sort of thing felt like they were isolated and crazy. Reading about how other people struggle with the same issue makes it more normal of an experience to go through, which for many people has the effect of making it a more tolerable experience. Few people like feeling they are alone in the world.

Mark

Hows about you two stop speaking rudely to one another, huh? There isn't need for it. Both of you are here because this place fulfills a need - which means both of you are desirous of support. So stop antagonizing each other and try to find ways to support one another.

You don't have to tell me? I went there.

Somehow, I don't think my time is ready yet! Not for the want of trying though!

This is what has sent me feeling just like you. Don't trust anyone! When you've been shit on, the amount of times that I have, Then you'll understand! And for what! Trying to be nice to people, doing all you can for anyone. And when it's your turn to ask the favour, where is anyone? No where to be seen!

I've learnt a lesson though! Look after number one. Coz no one else will!

Cady, don't trust anyone! Not even your best friend. When shove comes to shove, they won't be bothered about you, no! All's they'll think about is there selve's. Believe me. Don't make the mistake that I made and try and be nice to everyone, Coz it dunt work.

Do you know, I alway's said that when I die, I'm gonna come back as a bird! Do you know why? Coz I'm gonna shit on all them, that have shit on me! Ha! Honest!

Paula;)