Mental Support Community

My Beliefs Are My Anchor But....

Guest GingerSnap

Guest GingerSnap

Over the past year, I have taken a hard look at my religious beliefs and how they relate to the world today. I find that my religious beliefs are constantly challenged. What has made this easier lately is reconnecting with people from my past - those people I grew up with that are more like me than not so that now, I don't feel out of place and alone in my belief in God, the Ten Commandments and The Golden Rule. It is not so much that I am older now but that I grew up in, what I now certainly realize, a good place with good people. After more than 25 years, I am now reunited with my younger brother and we have more shared beliefs than not and it is so good to remember those past times, what we were taught and how both of us have held onto the beliefs passed through out generations of people. Have talked with a couple people from high school and they too carry the same beliefs, thank God! This has given me great peace to reconnect with these people. I am not a "go with the flow" type of person and I will not accept the most current popular ideas and how the Bible doesn't seem to mean a darn thing literally. Ah, to have a set of beliefs that go unchallenged in my mind brings peace eternal. Don't forget who you are and don't sell out.;)

Hi GingerSnap, thank you for sharing your story. I agree that congruence is a wonderful feeling, when our behaviours and our life is aligned with our core beliefs. That's probably when we feel the most at peace. It's great that you have reconnected with people you feel comfortable with, I can hear how happy that is making you...

May the wind continue to be at your back :-)

Archived