Mental Support Community

Question about medication

JessLL

So, I finally got back on an anti-anxiety/depression medicine. They put me on Celexa. So far it seems to be going well. However, I'm not sure what time of day is best to take it. I've been on it for 5 days now and taking it at 2 PM. On the first few days it made me a little nauseous with a headache and restless after an hour or so. But yesterday and today it is making me sleepy and very hungry. So, I'm thinking maybe I should take it before bed?

I'm just concerned it will make me restless in the middle of the night? But maybe not.

I do not like being so hungry all the time. It's like nothing I eat is filling my stomach up, but I'm not craving anything in particular. Will this go away??

Thanks for any help on this,

Jess

your Pdoc should have let you know when to take your new meds. Foe exAMple I just started on new meds too. I am suppose to take cymbalta in the mornings . ANd start on anther meds to take at nighttime. I have not recieved the other new meds yet, waiting for it to come in , Serquel.

Follow the directions givin to you by your doctor.

People vary in their reactions to meds. A med which makes one person sleepy, may make another person wide awake. Not knowing what a reaction will be, a pdoc will usually prescribe a time of day which works for the most people in their experience. However, if you have a different response they will change the time of day.

It may take more than 5 days to see what your response is; it takes a week or two to settle down from start-up side-effects. (I also get nausea and headache the first few days. ;) )Then you'll be able to see how it affects you as regards sleep/wakefulness.

I would check with your pdoc if it is OK for you to move it around to see how it works best for you. When you move a time, leave it for a couple of days, the brain doesn't adjust instantly.

These meds work on receptors that also control our sense of satiety. So some make you frightfully hungry. Efexor and Seroquel,which I'm on, drive me to distraction with their appetite stimulation. That battle is ongoing for me. It's lousy.

Thanks for the help. The hunger isn't as bad today. So far the Celexa is really helping my mood stay stable. I think I will try taking today's dose around 6 PM and see how I sleep. I actually slept the whole night last night which I haven't done for about 6 months!!

Jess

So, I read some things that Celexa can cause weird brown pigmentation on your face. I hope this doesn't happen.

I am also a little concerned about the sexual side effects, but so far it isn't as bad as when I was taking Cymbalta. I wonder if the anorgasmia will go away.

So tired of missing work because I'm either physically sick or mentally unable to leave to house.

I took the Celexa at 6 PM last night instead of 2 PM like I had started. It took me a while to get to sleep, even with melatonin and xanax. So, I finally fell asleep around 1:30 AM. Then my silly husband comes to bed at like 5:30 and I wake up. Then every time I almost fall back asleep he moves and I wake up, this gos on until 8 AM when I have to get up. I immediately get shaky, cold and my heat starts to race. Even though I know I needed to let the office manager and my boss know, I was freaking out about contacting them. I think I had a full on panic attack. I took another xanax, now much calmer, but feeling too out of it to drive, so I guess I will just stay home and miss out on money that I really need.

Very worried this is going to happen again tomorrow morning.

I need a job I can do from home, so my agoraphobia/social anxiety problems can get worse.

Archived