Mental Support Community

Living In The Worst Of Times

Guest GingerSnap

Guest GingerSnap

I don't care what anyone says, we are living in the worst of times. Yesterday a neighbor which previously I had not had serious conversation with told me "Cathy, I'm so tired, so tired of just everything." I said "Me, too!" Nearly everyone I know is under a lot of pressure with the economy, the changing climate, the government at every level, etc. The best paying and largest business in town just closed. The threat of some kind of disaster either financial, family, weather, etc. is almost constant and so many people feel hopeless. I am so tired of it. I, of course, believe that it has to do with the big picture related to my belief in God so I had seen this situation coming and accept it a little better. The neighbor also mentioned that she just feels like just giving up - which, of course, having similar beliefs to me, she won't. We will both just keep trudging along - like through a snow storm expecting a clearing at the end. A lot of people just cover up and pretend that everything is just in fine order - these are the people that lose it in the end so express your frustrations. I once started working with an another lady and one day she said "Cathy, I'm so glad I met you because before, I thought I was the only one who had problems like this.":D but then she added "But it good because we can always find something to laugh about.":rolleyes: - I miss her and maybe I'll send her a note even though she is far away and long ago sometimes reaching out and touching someone like from the past can really hit the spot. So, am I wrong about this? Do other people see this as the big picture? My best, Cathy:)

Yes I understand what you mean. We are living in very difficult times. It's so sad and seeing so many shops boarded up and "closing down" sales. And here our government has just announced a budget not seen since the war.

It's scary really, added to the stresses we all already have in our lives.

And like you say the changing climate and the natural disasters as well. I sometimes feel like the earth is getting some payback for all the abuse from mankind. If we'd treated her with a bit more respect then maybe things would have been a lot different.

I also think that we live in a world now where we can potentially "have" so much, materially. And this actually makes life more stressful. We feel entitled to the same things as others and strive to get the best. I would guess that life in (for example) a little known African tribe barely having much contact with the fast paced world outside, is probably a happier life. Simplistic, in nature. As long as there is food to eat, clean water. Does that make sense?

I guess though human beings have that old fighting spirit. And I'm guessing we will all come through the other side, maybe a little wiser. I read somewhere that people with depression are best off avoiding reading newspapers or watching the news. Doesn't work for me as my job involves this!!! but I get the idea. It's drip feeding how bad the world without many positives. The good news stories, the courage of some, the compassion of others. I have often thought my depression has been made worse by years working in a news environment and being constantly bombarded with crime stories etc.

But yes I think it sounds a great idea to get in touch with your friend. I bet she would be delighted to hear from you.

I wanted to quote a song in the hope it might be true.

"I get lost in the beauty of everything I see. The world ain't half as bad as they paint it to be. All the sons and all the daughters, stop and take it in. The hate subsides and the love can begin"

There is so much beauty in the world if we can stop and see it.

Archived