Mental Support Community

Finding a Therapist cptsd

kathleen2boyz

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Kathleen,

You are asking an extremely important question. Here is my answer:

The first and foremost requirement about a therapist is that they be really well trained, sensitive and licensed. The best way is to go by recommendation either from friends, or your medical doctor. What a psychologist or clinical social worker treats is not the issue. Its the level of training and skill that is most important.

Do you have an MD you can ask or do you have friends who know therapists?

Allan

I would also like to expand on what Allan said and add a next step. Finding the right therapist is kind of like hiring someone for a job. It's OK to ask questions and you should. A good relationship with a therapist is like any other relationship. It's usually not automatic so give it a few sessions. Some personalities and styles click and some don't so don't be discouraged if the first person you see isn't the one you end up working with. Many therapists can adjust their style and approach to what the client needs but some don't so find what's right for you.

Kathleen,

That makes perfect sense!!! It is an incredibly hard and courageous decision to begin therapy!!!! You are finding someone whom you will be sharing thing that are very difficult. It's not a decision to be taken lightly and any therapist worth seeing already knows this and treats it with the utmost care and respect. That's part of the reason I think it is important to treat finding a therapist like a job interview. It is sooooooo important to find someone you feel comfortable with and trust to share those things.

Yes, I do think feeling safe is very important. This allows you to freely express yourself and to explore your emotions and concerns. In therapy, this involves trusting your therapist. This may take some time, but it will benefit you greatly if you are able to achieve this.

I think your question about what safe feels like would be a great topic to bring up with your therapist. I hope things go well for you, kathleen.

Archived