Mental Support Community

<-- Emotional eater here

ChasingDreams

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself in this section. I am a total emotional eater and have put on 30 pounds in the last year, due to the stress in my life and trying to comfort myself with food:( Sadly, what gets me through the day most of the time is looking forward to the next yummy food I get to eat:P

I just stuffed myself with Chinese food for lunch and while it was awesome at the moment (it almost gives me a highXD lol) I am now feeling overstuffed, heavy and mad at myself:P

Anyway, I'll be around:) lol

Hi , I too am an emotional eater. I've gained about 60 pounds in the last 10 years. I recently decided that was enough and have been losing weight, but I think I am only able to do that because I have worked it so that my life has much fewer stressors now, and I finally have time to take care of myself for a change. You mentionned that your life is stressed, is there anything that can be done to eliminate some of the stressors so that you have more time to think about what and how to eat properly?

Another thing I have been doing is looking for things that give me pleasure, make me feel good - my bills are paid, I have good food in the fridge, I buy some nice things when I can afford it, sometimes I take a member of the family out to a fancy restaurants to celebrate an event, doing some volunteer work that is helping me meet new and very nice people. Just generally I am feeling that my needs are being met more so that that I don't rely on food so much to fill the gap. Do you feel your own needs are being addressed?

Edited by danni

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome that you could quit your stressful job:) I had a series of stressful jobs a few years ago... The first one I didn't leave soon enough, because I hit my breaking point and told my boss exactly what I thought of her>< lol The next I ended up quitting after a month, because I was already getting really stressed>< and the last one I left just in time! I was so stressed out that I was having panic attacks... So I made the (I thought at the time anyway:P) smart choice of applying for other jobs before blowing it with that one... And now here I am in a new city, in a great, mellow, practically stress-free job, with really nice people:D Unfortunately, my boyfriend isn't so happy about having moved here... and is now making me miserable with his grumpy moods and complaining all the time>< Add onto that a 1-year-old (our first child) who usually only sleeps a few hours at a time, and him going back to school and traffic jams, and trying to take care of the housework, and trying to help my mom set up a business (so she doesn't have to go get a full-time job and stop babysitting for us...) and trying to learn a new language, and money problems... and now I'm even more stressed out>< lol I definitely need to work on finding ways to reduce my stress, but I'm just not sure how at this point:( I don't really see anything I could cut out without causing some other, new stress:P But yeah, I at least need to find better ways of dealing with it than trying to fill up the void with food... or shopping... lol

• 3 months later...

I soooo wish I could leave my job. In the seven years I've been there I've put on about 80 pounds. I miss the good ol days of being a size 16. I feel so bad about myself even though I have an amazing boyfriend who tells me I'm beautiful I just hate looking at myself.

Pretty much after starting at the hospital I was trying to find another job but have had no luck. So I just feel stuck in the horribly stress low paying job. I don't make much money but have tried going to college. I usually have to drop out because I've maxed out credit cards trying to buy books and pay for classes. I wish I could find someway to handle my stress other than eating. I've tried counseling but couldn't go for long because of not having money. Writing in a journal doesn't seem to help much either.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi nitelillies,

I think this is our first interaction. Welcome to the commuity even if you have already been welcomed.

Will it help for you to know that you are not alone, especially today in this job market and economy? Well, may not much but just a little. Even though your job is low paying, at least you have a job.

With regard to your credit card debts, there are legitimat companies that are willing to work with clients as middlemen who negotiate with creditors to lower interest payments and the amount of the monthly payment and withour penalty. These are credit counselling companies and they can be quite helpful. I know a number of people who are using a company called, "Take Charge America."

As for stress, do your exercise and do Yoga. Yoga has been found, over and again, to be very helpful in lowering stress and depression.

What do you and others think?

Allan

I thank god that I am not an emotional eater because I know that I would use that against myself, as I use everything else. I have learned that doing something selflessly does me alot of good to feel good about myself and feel like I am doing something for others without anything in return.

I am a stay at home mom, and have been since my son was born 16 months ago. It is not easy to be the one to take care of every single need in the house and with the kid, but I have to step back and remind myself that not everyone gets to make the choice to do this!! Of course now that my husband and I have been thinking about me going back to work part time we realize that paying for a sitter would take my entire paycheck. But the point being when I go and volunteer (I volunteer for the Special Olymipics tournaments). I get the time away that I need plus I am doing something in the community that has no monetary reward. I also enjoy baking for others. I have also started crocheting blankets to donate to the maturnity ward at the hospital.

Even if you are not able to quite your job it is important to find something to relax you, outside of your job. If you find that you are an emotional eater, try to have only healthy foods in your house. There is healthy food out there to replace every single not so healthy snack. Crunchy snacks can be replaced with veggies, sweet with fruit, salty with popcorn.

• 2 years later...

I soooo wish I could leave my job. In the seven years I've been there I've put on about 80 pounds. I miss the good ol days of being a size 16. I feel so bad about myself even though I have an amazing boyfriend who tells me I'm beautiful I just hate looking at myself.

Pretty much after starting at the hospital I was trying to find another job but have had no luck. So I just feel stuck in the horribly stress low paying job. I don't make much money but have tried going to college. I usually have to drop out because I've maxed out credit cards trying to buy books and pay for classes. I wish I could find someway to handle my stress other than eating. I've tried counseling but couldn't go for long because of not having money. Writing in a journal doesn't seem to help much either.

awwww I'm so sorry to read what you are going though .. yes you are extremely beautiful .but you are sadly in this catch 22 where there is no full back where you are stuck and have no chance changing it but maybe you do I know its hard .. but your have to start cutting out the rubbish foods bit by bit over time use smaller plates smaller pans smaller bowls .. its so sad that you don't have anything to full back on I am guess you are from the states here in Europe we have a system to full back on to give up work take some time off recharge our batteries to learn new skills and to look for a better job .. as I am guessing you are from the states .. why? Can't you leave your job? There must be other jobs out there to move into right? Sounds like you really are stuck . Can't learn a new skill to get a better job .can't leave the one your in now .can't move away and start new .. I really feel so sorry for you I wish you all the best Must be hard fallen thought the cracks with no light at the other end .. must be hard .hope you get yourself life on track again soon