Mental Support Community

Inappropriate smiling?:P

ChasingDreams

I'm not quite sure where this topic would fit in, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this.

Sometimes when I'm in an uncomfortable situation, like someone is telling me something bad or sad that happened or something, I have to really fight off the urge to smile... Sometimes I even do smile a bit, and then I feel really bad:( It's like I don't know how to respond in such a situation or something... Just makes me really uncomfortable.

Anyone else ever have this happen? And did you find a way to have a more appropriate response? I just feel weird:P

Boy oh boy you just described something that happens to me too and something I have been wanting to change too, so YES and double YES, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

I smile when I am sad sometimes or when I am talking about something sad. If my husband and I are arguing I will sometimes smile even though I am hurt or sometimes mad. I went to a counselor a few years ago and was discussing some childhood trauma, well I smiled while telling it (on accident I can't stop it) and he actually said to me, "If its so painful why are you smiling?" He, of all people, should know that it is an automatic response I can not control it at all.

I'm not sure if it is because it is a learned behavior from my childhood. (My mom did not tolerate sadness at all) But, at this point in my life, I still have not learned of a way to control it.

Well, I didn't help you at all now did I...lol. But atleast you know you are not alone in this :)

I do think that sometimes when something feels uncomfortable, it isn't unusual that someone may smile or laugh inappropriately. (It may also explain the reasons behind some inappropriate jokes) It could be a defense to protect oneself from those very feelings of discomfort. If it has been causing you concern, maybe there is a way to discover why those feelings are difficult for you to look? Do you have a therapist whom you could discuss this with?

Thanks for the replies:) It's good to know I'm not alone in this:P I think maybe it is from nervousness, and maybe a defense mechanism, like IrmaJean said. It's not like I don't ever experience sad feelings, or welcome them, but perhaps I tend to get a bit too emotional and upset when I let myself feel those sad thoughts, so maybe I'm like subconsciously avoiding those feelings... But I feel better knowing that it seems to be a pretty common thing:)

Hi,

I get this too, it's actually a nervous reaction, when we are attempting to process difficult thoughts or avoid displaying our true feelings or emotions or simply when we feel uncomfortable we smile, smiling brings relief to us (when you smile you feel good).

It's a completly natural thing, a little bit like blushing..

Hope that helps :)

Archived