Mental Support Community

Is it ok to ask your therapist this?

I've been feeling like I have told everything to my therapist about my past and all the trauma, but I don't really feel like I have "gotten it out". I think if he would push me a little I would be more likely to pour out there. I still have a hard time saying how I feel sometimes, in fact I email most things to him that are hard for me to talk about so he will already be aware when I come, and I hope he will bring things up. Then I tell him about them, but I don't ever get emotional there. Is it ok to ask him to push me more?

It's your therapy, TBITH, so I can't see why not if this is the direction you wish to go in. Maybe he can help guide you through this. Try expressing to him what you have just expressed here. Get things out in the open and see what happens. I wrote a lot of notes in therapy as well so I can certainly relate to that! Good luck.

Thanks for responding ImaJean. One of the problems also is the time factor. Since I share my sessions with my son, he is usually in there for 20-30 minutes, which leaves me with 20-30 minutes. So, I think I'm also going to ask him if in addition to us splitting the sessions, which are every 2 weeks now, maybe I can just pay out of pocket for one session a month by myself. I'm always afraid to get into anything too deep becaused there's not enough time.I feel as though I will get more accomplished this way. Especially if he will push me a little more. What do you think?

Archived