Mental Support Community

Cutting

SoccerCoach88

So recently I have had thoughts about cutting. I am in constant pain with chronic daily migraines and fibromyalgia and it's getting harder and harder to deal with every day. I am trying to stay away from the narcotics, but tomorrow morning I think I'm going to have to go to the local ER to get some help with the headaches. The cutting comes into play I guess because it's like something needs to hurt more than my head so I don't have to think about it. I currently am not cutting but the thoughts are there. They are new to me so I'm not sure what to do. I'm seeing my therapist tomorrow and we'll probably talk about it.

Kate.:confused:

Hi Kate,

I am sorry you are so overwhelmed.

I suffer from fibromyalgia as well, but it does not sound as bad as you.

I m glad you are seeing your therapist. I have ever really had bad headaches much so I am not sure as an alternative. I used to play a lot of computer games to focus past my pain, but I am unsure that will work for headaches.

I would avoid you from starting to cut because it is a tough thing to stop once you get going and often it will leave scars that you might be sorry for later. Try a hot shower instead (not too hot) I found it helped me when I was in bad pain. Not as in making them go away, but in creating a sensation stronger than the pain I was experiencing.

Maybe you need to see your regular doctor as well for the headaches.

I am sorry you feel so overwhelmed and I hope you feel better soon.

Waiting

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Soccercoach,

I agree with Waiting about seeing your MD about the headaches. I'm no expert on this but I have a couple of friends who have this headache problem. Its migrain headaches. They take a prescription med just for the headaches and they only take it when they get a headache. They have told me it helps.

Please don't cut yourself. I am also sorry you are feeling so awful. Post here whenever you feel like self cutting, talk to famiy and friends, go to a movie, etc.

Are there others here who suffer headaches? How do you deal with it?

Allan

Hi Kate,

I'm so sorry you are in pain. But I urge you not to start cutting if you haven't done it before. It can turn into a habit and can put you into a really bad head space. (such as, every time you feel or see it over the next few days it will be a reminder of how awful you feel). And you can't think of all the potential problems it may cause (loss of kids if found out, public embarrassment, cops called on you by others who don't understand, harsh judgement by others). Oh, and a new one I just discovered yesterday. Beach volleyball wreaks havoc on even a two week old scar. I think I popped a blood vessel.

Guest ASchwartz

Sedsed,

I am very alarmed about the amount of Ibprofen you take when you have a headache. That amount could be dangerous to your health.

I understand what you said about your parents and wanting to protect them That is very admirable. They are lucky to have you as their daughter.

However, it is also important that your health be protected. There is medication to help with these migrains, medication used on an as needed basis.

I want to encourage you to speak to your parents and see the doctor.

I'm a father, although my daughters are grown adults. However, when it came to their health I spent the money, money we did not have at the time. That is what a parent does.

Allan

It manages the pain so what would be the point of going to the doctor and paying who knows what for the visit just to be prescribed something that manages the pain, so if i get the same result i see no reason to change it. Also simply because you would spend the money does not mean every parent would spend the money though i know my mother would we are already in such a bad place right now, were being sued, boyfriend leaving so does not pay for anything he dose not have to... ok i could go on but i digress, i am simply concluding that their is no reason for me to do other wise at the moment.

But soccercoach88 if you can afford it i recommend going to the doctor still, i know in a way i sound like a hypocrite but the only reason i don't go is that it cost to much. It may help with the pain and then you may not feel the want to cut.

I use the medications as directed. It might sound like a lot but I have a complex condition where I've been diagnosed with fibromalygia, conversion disoder with pre syncope issues and psuedoseizure features, chronic headaches/ migraines, depression and anxiety disorder. I do take a lot but not over the recommended dose from my doctor. I just need this pain to end. It's getting pretty ridiculous. Other than that I don't have much to say.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Sedsed,

None of us should self medicate. All medications have side effects. Taking the amounts of Ibprofen you are taking without the guidance of an MD could put you in danger of harming yourself. I really recommend you see an MD about your headaches. However, that is up to you.

Allan

Archived