Mental Support Community

psychiatrist refusing to provide medical records

Ricardo

I sent a letter to a psychiatrist asking him for a copy of my records with him and he told another one of his clients to tell me that his work with me is done and that he doesn't wish to be contacted by me anymore. That client of his told someone else and that someone else told me. I want to get copies of my records from him so what should I do?

Told one of his clients? Do you mean he broke patient Dr. confidentiality? If he did that's for the medical board to be advised! I don't really know if that's what you mean but, If it is do something now! It is none of my business can you say what happened?

Guest SomethingOrOther

Hi Ricardo,

the best I can come up with in reply to your post is: WTF does your psychiatrist think he's doing?

the second best thing I come up with is a link I found: http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs8-med.htm#E

where there might be helpful information under point 6.

I would probably sent him another letter in the design that is shown there and add a paragraph about how he apparently doesn't hesitate to disclose information about your treatment to other people, and that you will file a complaint with the department of health, should you not be sent the requested documents within two weeks.

S.

Told one of his clients? Do you mean he broke patient Dr. confidentiality? If he did that's for the medical board to be advised! I don't really know if that's what you mean but, If it is do something now! It is none of my business can you say what happened?

Does that count as breaking patient/Dr. confidentiality? He told one of his clients that he got a certified letter from me and told her that his work with me is done and he doesn't wish to be contacted by me anymore. That client of his told my sister, and my sister told me.

Hi Ricardo,

Have you tried to call him or her. How do you know he did this? Is it possible this other person is lying to you?

No matter what try to contact him directly again.

I called and left a message on his voice mail, but he did not call back. I told him that I'm going to write another letter. I feel very confident that nobody is lying to me about what happened. The other client would have no way of knowing that I really did write a letter to this doctor, so she would not know to lie about it. If the doctor did want to communicate with me he wouldn't have told his client to tell me that he didn't want to be contacted.

What do you mean you are going to write this same Dr. another letter? I wouldn't do that he probably is going to pretend he didn't get it. Shouldn't of told you not to do that none of my business but please call somebody anybody professional he is by law to give your medical records you sign off saying he is not responsible you WANT THEM!!!!!!!!!!

WTF is going on here. Not you I mean him!

Does he realize because he is a Dr. he is above everybody I want to say what you could do but I don't know if I could here. I have a mouth when it comes to Dr.s heve had plenty I have told off because they are replaceable don't let this lye but, this is pissing me off personally because I have been through this with my daughter. I don't care who or what they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes! They tried because they thought I couldn't deal with what they had written down I just said I want them I'm entitled and I am her mother either you give them to me or I will make sure you will! Now my daughter is disabled and now she is an adult so I went & got P.O.A. over her. I have had still some problems especially when she is in the hospital & I want to read her chart the nurse will come in and take it up to the desk. I might be a mother hen protecting her baby chick but, you are entitled to anything that is wrote about you medical it means any problems psychiatric or anything pertaining to you! Do not let this fool intimidate you because, if he knows you can you lose. Call his office & state you don't have to talk to him you want your medical records. Also don't let him say I'll forward them to another Dr. You personally will take them yourself. At this time I have had no problem getting hers. I don't need mine at this time but I will if things change.

If you are in the US, then you have a right to your health records under HIPAA

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/consumer_rights.pdf

Unless the provider thinks that releasing this information would endanger you, he has to release a copy to you. Saying that his work with you is done does not satisfy that criterion.

You can file a complaint with your insurance carrier if you have one, or directly with the dept of health & human services: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/index.html

Archived