Mental Support Community

too much anger

mscat

Either I am depressed or extremely angry . My moods do not last long, maybe a half a day or so, haver the anger is intense and I come unglued . I through my cordless food accross the kitchen floor today , and just lost it, so badly with swearing, and could not calm down.

My special needs child takes a scholl bus everyday and the bus did not even stop this morning to pick him up. I went balistic.

When the anger gets this bad I take it out on myself, then calm down. No medications help me calm down and get over it.... When it comes to my son, and think he was not treated faily, or discriminated against, I lose it. :mad:

I think you sound angry. Actually, like it so often is the case with anger, it sounds to me more like you are feeling helpless when this sort of thing happens (school bus). And then it feels so horrible to feel helpless that it gets transformed into anger, which makes you feel powerful at least.

I'm sorry that you feel so unsettled today.

Sometimes it is a good thing to distract yourself. Other times, what helps is to punch a pillow and yell until you feel exhausted.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Mscat have you always had intense anger like this? Have you tried to distract yourself like Mark suggested? I think it would be hard to do. Have you tried any techniques to reduce the anger? Sorry a lot of questions.:eek:

I don't get angry and often wonder what stops me internally from getting to the angry place, where I can react like you have described.:confused: If I knew what I did I would share it with you in hope that it would provide you with some relief or even a bit of balance between the depression and anger.

Sorry to hear it is this way at the moment for you.

Confused12

Hi People ... I hope your feeling ok today :)

An interesting thread. I often get angry ... like every 45 minute or so and can even stay that way for ages, 'chronic' I think might be the word. It can be triggered by something external but usually comes from within, semi-triggered by an external event or rather my perception of it.

But I have to wonder if it's really anger I'm feeling. I've noted from this thread that anger can be feeling helpless as Mark said, or depression as confused pointed out (I like that username, thats how I feel). My emotional intelligence isn't very good so my thoughts tend to be quite disorganised.

Visiting this site has helped a little. It's nice to have somewhere to visit where you can let off a managed vent of steam.

Either I am depressed or extremely angry . My moods do not last long, maybe a half a day or so, haver the anger is intense and I come unglued . I through my cordless food accross the kitchen floor today , and just lost it, so badly with swearing, and could not calm down.

My special needs child takes a scholl bus everyday and the bus did not even stop this morning to pick him up. I went balistic.

When the anger gets this bad I take it out on myself, then calm down. No medications help me calm down and get over it.... When it comes to my son, and think he was not treated faily, or discriminated against, I lose it. :mad:

Yes lately I've experienced this sort of mood swings. Anger, depression with weepiness, good moods where I feel witty and make people laugh including myself. Then something sets me off and I get extremely angry, and that anger gives me great strength! It's a very powerful emotion. I, too, take it out on myself. I am hoping that this is the result in the change of meds. Are you on medication at all? New med changes by chance?

I think you sound angry. Actually, like it so often is the case with anger, it sounds to me more like you are feeling helpless when this sort of thing happens (school bus). And then it feels so horrible to feel helpless that it gets transformed into anger, which makes you feel powerful at least.

I'm sorry that you feel so unsettled today.

Sometimes it is a good thing to distract yourself. Other times, what helps is to punch a pillow and yell until you feel exhausted.

Mark

Yes Dr. Dombeck this makes great sense to me. When I get angry and frustrated I feel helpless and nowhere to turn.