Mental Support Community

bipolar; notions about cause/effect/ etc

Sissagwaad

Re: Disorders and Issues Topic pull-down description

Allan suggested i share publically, my private questions to him about this,

As privately Posted by Sissagwaad, to Allan:

Hi, pesky me again

scrolled through the page describing 'disorders & issues' and this caught my attention as puzzling,

Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar Disorder causes people to swing between extreme, severe and typically sustained mood states which affect their energy levels, attitudes, behavior and ability to function. More.....

--------------------------------

Dosn't that serve towards supporting beliefs, it is something external? a brain defect, or something towards avoiding keeping the issues simplified and solutions personally attainable and resolveable?

isn't it, in your professional experience, simply a description of manic depressive, as my symptoms were diagnosed, hospitalized treated for over 6months in hospital (oh mine was even more dramatic, it was paranoid schitzophrenic manic depressive.....oh so scary, lol,) the only scary part was how i was barbarically brutalized, instead of respected as an individual that was having difficulties with how i was making sense of my own library of beliefs picked up in earlier in life.

isn't bipolar disorder, simply a description of symptoms and behavior where clients are either turned on, excited, perhaps even racing, and sometimes depressed....confused by the scope of their thinking ability?

why suggest bp is 'the cause, when it is simply the description of swinging between extreme, severe and typically sustained mood states which affect their energy levels, attitudes, behavior and ability to function ? with respect, just me. :(

I agree, suggesting it is a 'cause' isn't right. I would say it is more a collection of symptoms. But that could be said for most mental health issues IMHO. In fact I have come across more than one individual who has said they do not like to use labels, my therapist included. MH diagnoses are just convenient tools to describe a collection of symptoms for the benefit of the doctor/therapist charged with determining treatment options, as well as disability providers and perhaps for the patient who desperately wants to know what is wrong with them and/or wants to learn more about how to help themselves. Without labels, we wouldn't even have these forum topics and it would be much harder to find others who share the same plight to discuss our issues with.

I agree, suggesting it is a 'cause' isn't right. I would say it is more a collection of symptoms. But that could be said for most mental health issues IMHO. In fact I have come across more than one individual who has said they do not like to use labels, my therapist included. MH diagnoses are just convenient tools to describe a collection of symptoms for the benefit of the doctor/therapist charged with determining treatment options, as well as disability providers and perhaps for the patient who desperately wants to know what is wrong with them and/or wants to learn more about how to help themselves. Without labels, we wouldn't even have these forum topics and it would be much harder to find others who share the same plight to discuss our issues with.

ok :(

lets call em what they are, not insinuate lifelong diseased brain's etc.

Categorize the emotional symptoms/behavior. not as if 'that's it' that's what you/i've "got" As if catching a cold or something, and now one is as if 'stricken' incurable. It seems to make it just too easy, pat, for a dr to then subject one to a lifetime of intervening/mind confusing drugs designed to give relief for the dr....take this, see if that works......6mos later, shit i'm feeling worse, ok, must be the med's, lets try this then, and so on.....good golly, no wonder so many of us are confused and suffering endlessly.

Far too often there is no real effort to fascilitate sufferers to explore much towards realizing control back over their scattered emotional thinking. Dr's are taught systematically by the drug corporations that fund the universities, that the drugs will do that for them, just find the right chemical cocktail, and nirvanha will magically appear. yah, sure.....:eek:

Sissagwaad

I really liked the way you described the issues of mental illness issues. I also can't tell alot of people especially my daughters Dr.s they think I'm just being a typical parent on things I say so be it! I just admire you for what you described Biopolar.

Thank You!

I respect the doctors who say the "drugs are just to get you through the worst of it". That's how I've come to look at them, at least for my issues. Especially when you are going through a form of therapy that can amplify the emotional extremes. I would dearly love to find a pill to: fix my life, fix my relationships, make my crises disappear, give me more energy and motivation, give me a brighter outlook on life, make me feel less hopeless, help me find true meaning, give me my concentration and memory back, give me control of my emotional extremes, get rid of my nightmares, get rid of my anxiety, give me lasting friendships and a fabulous guy, and to help me figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. But that just ain't gonna happen!

Archived