Mental Support Community

Feeling really depressed [!] Religion, Suicide mentioned

WinterSky

I guess I do understand your feelings but for the exact opposite reasons. I am absolutely terrified of the leadership of Barack Obama. I will NOT start a debate and I will respect his position as president but, for me, he represents the unraveling of our country. I would not say I am a "religious" person because, honestly, you can be "religious" about anything. I am, however, a tried and true outspoken Christian and I do believe that our country's moral compass is horribly askew. I woke this morning (after hearing the results before going to bed) with a pit in my stomach and dreading the thought of having this man as president. Do I think McCain represents everything good and decent in the world and do I believe if he had been elected everything would be coming up roses? No, of course not. But, I am scared. Not just in a cliche' kind of way but a deep in my gut actual fear of what my future, my children's future and our country's future holds. I had to turn off the TV and radio and have just been mindlessly surfing the web today because I can't stand thinking about it, much less hearing anymore about it. It is seriously, deeply depressing for me to think about it.

If you understand this, then why did you respond to my post?

Obviously, I will not in the future. I thought the purpose of a forum was to share and express ideas even those that diverge. No worry- if there is a block list, I will put you on it and you will no longer have to worry about my replies. If there is not, I will simply remember to ignore you from here on out.

Guest ASchwartz

Wintersky, lifeless and others:

When any of us feels depressed and/or anxious it is fairly easy to use current events to lend evidence to why we feel that way. However, I do not want any of you to think that I am dismissing your worries because I am not.

I also want to stronly emphasize the fact that I am NOT being political in any way, ONLY psychological. So here goes:

During this campaign I also worried about the four candidates: vice presidents, too. Then, I kept reassuring myself by reminding myself that we have a complicate democracy with many checks and balances built in to protect all of us from any one person becoming too powerful.

In other words, whoever the President is, is always surrounded by thousands of advisors, legal experts, the House of Representatives, the Senate, the Supreme Court and there is the Military and the Police. When I thought about that I realized that, whoever wins, they will have LIMITED POWERS because that is the way the system works and has worked in the United States and Great Britain for hundreds of years.

So, fear not or at least, remind yourselves of these things.

What do you think?

Allan :)

Wintersky, lifeless and others:

When any of us feels depressed and/or anxious it is fairly easy to use current events to lend evidence to why we feel that way. However, I do not want any of you to think that I am dismissing your worries because I am not.

I also want to stronly emphasize the fact that I am NOT being political in any way, ONLY psychological. So here goes:

During this campaign I also worried about the four candidates: vice presidents, too. Then, I kept reassuring myself by reminding myself that we have a complicate democracy with many checks and balances built in to protect all of us from any one person becoming too powerful.

In other words, whoever the President is, is always surrounded by thousands of advisors, legal experts, the House of Representatives, the Senate, the Supreme Court and there is the Military and the Police. When I thought about that I realized that, whoever wins, they will have LIMITED POWERS because that is the way the system works and has worked in the United States and Great Britain for hundreds of years.

So, fear not or at least, remind yourselves of these things.

What do you think?

Allan :)

I agree wholly with this analysis. In fact, I rely on the truth in it! I appreciate that you didn't "dismiss" legitimate fears- that is reassuring. Like I said, I will respect Obama's position as president and will teach my children the same. (My DD wanted to move to another country when she heard- so she is a work in progress. LOL)

Hey Wintersky,

I think the reason no one replied may be because talking about politics is like talking about religion or sex....the three taboo's in conversation. It is often the spark to sharp disagreements where tempers flare much too easily. (Its nitroglycerin in your mouth).

Do you remember the three taboo's they always told you not to speak of... well politics is one of them. Unless your prepared for contrasting views your best not bring it up.

I could have told you weeks ago that Obama was going to win...would that have helped? Then again I might have said that religion is nothing to fear but fanatical religious people are? You may have disagreed; maybe.... but many are being blown up in the name of their God and that's insane or a perversion of what religion was meant to be. ( Here is where you may not agree and believe that all religion is bad). See where this is going?

Yes I had a very strong feeling that Obama was going to win. It's just that we as a nation appear to be a Christian nation. What about the rest of us? And we love America, too. I was born and bred here, and the beauty of this country is that we have a right to choose our religion and freely practice it. Sadly people look at our differences and use it against us to create terrorism and war. We are the great satan as you know. But I do not believe that religion belongs in politics! Also, let's please keep it out of the oval office. Faith has its place in our private lives. And if the President of the United States is going to depend on faith rather than his own strengths, knowledge, and experiences, we'd be better of flipping a coin on all the important decisions being made! :eek: