Mental Support Community

social anxiety

vegan114

While avoid crowds and people I don't know at times going out can't be helped. I often feel like people are watching me and laughing. I cross my arms and look at the ground when ever possible. When something does go amiss I will relive it over and again. When possible I just keep my mouth shut. I can't look people in the eye and I get afraid they see me as dishonest even though that's not the case. I can tell what I'm doing is wrong but I can't make myself change. Not long ago I got frightened enough by a situation I was forced into I couldn't breath. I would have rather of been dead. That was the worst I have been. ;)

Hi vegan, my name is Beth. Nice to "meet" you. Social anxiety can be very distressful. I'm sorry you've been struggling with this. One thing that helped me with this is the realization that everyone else is just as human as I am. Others have insecurities and fears too. They aren't likely focused on judging you, but rather on whatever might be going on in their own lives. We're all flawed human beings.

Eye contact can be tough. Practice can help a lot! Try doing this little by little more and more and you may find some confidence building. Having some success will help build on future successes. I still struggle with some issues, but I can say that I've social anxiety. It can be done. Good luck, vegan, and I hope you are feeling more comfortable socially very soon.

Hi beth :(

Lol Ok when you put it that way it makes me feel a bit self centered. But at the same time it just gets so overwelming like I'm drowning. ;) Also seems like I'm worse around men or people of authority. Most women and children to a point. In the past when I try to keep eye contact I end up darting my eyes and look rather stupid. Sometimes I try to look at peoples forheads or noses. If they wear sun glasses that helps. Need to make everyone wear sun glasses all the time. :)

Archived