Mental Support Community

psychologist's biases ruining sessions

I apologize if my syntax makes this hard to read, I wrote it shortly after waking up today. It's only 730 some words though.

How do I if my psychologist’s therapy is riffed with his bias’s?

My last session (on Monday) he kept saying and implying some things I told him I felt devalued my religious convictions. He also used the same thing with a complete "i have no idea" moment.

Essentially, and quite literally he says that my relationship with God and my former step father is the same, and because I do not trust anymore, I stopped trusting god. He said that it was "synonymous". He says that the situation with my step father explains why I left Christianity for Deism, and why I became a Satanist. The part that I found a hoot was when he said "it almost sounds like you are allying yourself with Satan as to oppose God directly"

My response was "That's exactly what I am doing; he is the oppose, the accuser, he is God's arch nemesis." I then went on a bit on how as an allegorical figure that opposing Christianity and abrahamic religions is an important component to many sects of Satanism, it's part of our history, we are rebels, standing against a tyrant.

Later he says "How can you worship Satan and not God?"

I responded "How can you worship God and not Satan?" I went on to explain that under Pantheism Satan is a kind of force or energy, that he is part of the physical universe governing life through natural selection, evolution, instincts, and nature.

When I asked him how he could say that he said he "phrased it wrong". Ya, I fucking believe that [sarcasm].

Also I tried a couple of times to talk about some thoughts in the back of my head, I had been starting to think that maybe I was bisexual. I asked him how I know if I am or not, and he said "I don't know." and later he brought up my step dad again, and how not having a father figure and being raised by my mom would have an impact on that.

This is when it really started to not make sense. 1) I had a father figure until I was 13. I wasn't going to magically turn bisexual. 2) if he was right earlier about it explaining my religious convictions, why did it take 7 years after my step father left?

I told him that it would probably one of those things you are born with and I had blocked it out because I was sexually abused by a male, and he went on to say that he thinks it is a nurture thing, and I told him that the research has indicated that there are way too many correlations for genetics to not at least play some major role.

Then there was the few parts where he brought out a Bible when I said something contrary to popular beliefs about Satan. I wasn't the one wanting to bring up religion all the fucking session. I said something in passing and I felt like my beliefs were being questioned, not something I anticipate.

In all, it felt like the session was thrown 50 years into the past, it felt like the 60's or some Freudian excuse about my sexuality and religion explained it all in his head. After he quoted the bible near the end of the session i said that while the bible was written in a historical context it was like fox news, an activist propaganda message. sure, you can get a broad picture of what is going on from watching fox, but don’t trust them on any specific details. I brought up how the new testament wasn’t finished until 150 AD and the catholic bible wasn’t canonized until 400 AD and how what has been in the bible in the past isnt the same as today. then at this point he said that he believed all of the bible was true. I think it laid to bare what I suspected; he feels threatened by my beliefs and is acting unprofessional as a result.

What should I do? put in a complaint? he works at a individual practice, it's not state run or anything, so I'm not sure. IN the past he was slightly like this but this is the most blatant example. I don't want him to get fired, just to stop being like this and stop eating up the whole session into a debate.

Guest SomethingOrOther

Hi Darkness,

It is your decision whether you want to continue working with this therapist. If you want to continue with this therapist or don't have another option, I believe you can try a personal confrontation first. There is an ethics code for general guidelines, but your therapy is also simply supposed to benefit you.

Edited by SomethingOrOther

im not going to eat up another session confronting him; i was hoping someone would tell me what i could do to go higher than him. thing is he is part of an indivdual practice that a number of therapists work at. i dont know who i CAN go to and it would feel embarassing to ask teh receptionist because they are not above him and work with him.

i was hoping i could figure out what kind of power they have to answer to and take it to them

Guest SomethingOrOther

You wouldn't have to convince him that believing everything in the bible is terribly silly, but that you'd rather talk about your actual problems than discuss antropomorphic personifications.

I know it's not what you mean, but you are a power higher than him, cause he's providing a service to you. So I guess you're not going to have another session?

ive had him for 5 years, the chances of finding someone as good as him are near zero. all my other phycologists didnt bring anything to the table really. i just want to sort it out so i can stop wasting co-payments on sessions filled with debates. this is the third one (thankfully not in a row) that went this way

:eek: He pulled out a BIBLE in a therapy session to debate you about satanism??? You're the client; it's your time not his. His personal beliefs and ego need to be checked at the door. That's the very definition of professionalism IMHO.

Your therapy agreement should spell out the boundaries and who to contact if those are overstepped. This would be the form that says sexy time between therapist and client is totally not cool.

Based on his behavior, I would not trust him with matters regarding spirituality or sexuality. Whatever he is helping you with, negotiate that you want the scope of therapy to be limited to that area. His switch into debate-mode over the satanism bit shows that the two of you are unlikely to have productive conversations on this topic.

Maybe you could agree to disagree on religion and sexuality. This implies putting sexuality issue on the back burner until you can find someone who is more willing to consider your point of view. A therapist who uses a Bible in-session with someone who has specifically stated an aversion to Christianity is not one I would expect to be open to any sort of questioning around sexuality. That's just me though. Think about your options and make up your mind based on your own intuition since no one knows you better than you.

Guest SomethingOrOther

I'm not sure what to make of this. I still believe a personal confrontation is your best bet, if you plan to continue the therapy. I can understand your wish to have someone else talk sense into your therapist, but i'm not sure how that can be done. Also, it gives me doubts about the quality of your relationship. It's true that therapists should come fully functional, but I find it surprising that after five years there is apparently no trusted way to address this problem. You don't seem to expect that he takes you serious.

However, it takes two people to debate, so there might also be a unilateral solution to this part of the problem.

the thing is that for four of those years I WAS a christian. ive only been a satanist for 5 months, and before that i was a deist for 6 months.

so this is something that has only really developed recently. ill call the place in the morning and ask if i can see such a form or something similar, and see if i can get a refund for those three sessions that were wasted, or at least get their co-pay deducted off what I owe. that would satisfy me.

Guest GingerSnap

Since there are several therapists, there should be an office administrator that you could talk with. I would do like I do when my son must see a medical doctor (we practice natural medicine for good reason) and make a list, I want to discuss: (1)............(2).............. and try to learn to redirect him to the issue you want to talk about. I don't believe 100% in anything and especially the Bible and as someone suggested I would ask "Couldn't we agree to disagree on religion so that I can get my issues addressed, none of which I consider my religion?" Really, you could talk with a minister for free and debate religion if that is what your intention was in going to therapy which I know wasn't. Maybe he would like to meet "off the clock" to debate religion.

Darkness, this has nothing to do with your therapy situation but I am curious about something. Feel free to not respnd.

I'm just wondering what "kind" of Satanism you practice. I have never really come across "Satanism" outside of a monotheistic religion, and never to the extent that it is practiced "within" the context of Christianity.

You mentioned Pantheism, however rarely--if ever--is the term "God" even used in Naturalistic, Monistic or Dualistic Pantheism let alone any reference to Satan or any creator being for that matter. It would seem to me that a belief in the Satanism related to Christianity is a specific belief and practice, whereas a Pantheistic belief of Satan is really just a belief in the Universe or Nature. Very different things.

A couple of thoughts about other side points in your post--again not in anyway related to your situation so please disregard, I'm just interested in them--based on years of study: In the monothiestic religions (Christianity, Judism, Islam etc.) Satan's arch-nemisis is God, but God does not have an arch-nemisis. God created Satan and allows him to act. God is an essence and energy and Satan is a creation of that. He can only do what God allows him to.

The New Testament Gospels (=life of Christ) were not compiled and released until about a hundred or so years after the death of Christ, but the books had been written by the Apostles (who had followed Jesus) after His death during thier travels.

There is no "Catholic Bible." The Church in Rome (Catholic) broke from the Byzantine Church (Orthodox) in 1054 A.D. The early Christians were one Church.

You can find the original Hebrew text of the Christian Bible without too much trouble. The first Greek translation (the Septuagint) is pretty easily available also and although both have small differences, nothing of consequence changes.

Sorry, just curious about these things and curious about your religious practice/beliefs. Hope you figure out the right thing with your therapy. Five years with the same therapist is pretty intense. Take care.

^

|

@ guy above:

It's really complicated to explain; Satanism is a very diversified religion and sometimes can have stupid infighting.

For the different branches, this is the best information I can give from Diane Vera. She runs one of the longest existing sites on the net about Satanism and has a closed facebook group for any Satanist from any branch to join. At the moment her site and references from the facebook group is my primary source for Satanic material.

http://theisticsatanism.com/varieties/index.html

I'm the kind under Pantheistic. Also, Pantheistic Satanism for me uses the name Satan s lot, it's just that Satan is understood in the way that one understands energy or a force. It is just like gravity of electromagnetism to me, but it governs life.

To me Satan is the 'force' responsible for natural selection, evolution, and human nature. Another 'force' that I refer to as the "Darkness" (hey had this name before that conclusion lol) is the thing that is responsible for said gravity electromagnetism as well as the strong and weak nuclear forces that govern the universe. These 'forces', that is Satan and the Darkness, are in opposion to another force, one that is for some odd reason fairly sentient (Satan either is less active or less sentient, not sure which, and the Darkness has almost no sentience) that goes by the name of Jehovah/YAHWEH.

So yes, quite literally I think of gods as sentient forces not that different then the forces and interactions present in physics. It's really weird to explain, that much I can tell you.

@ pseudome, I understand all of what you say, but I will say that the point about my dad and Satanism being related is just rediculous to me. As I said before to him, why would I wait SEVEN years? if his theory is correct I would of turned MUCH sooner. He doesn't account for those seven years of faith in Christianity.

I kind of really do not want to get rid of him; all the other shrinks I had were pretty much quacks. He is about the only one I have actually liked. When I was a Christian a Bible came out at least a couple or few times, but I was explicitly talking about my walk with god at those times in the context of being a born again christian, then i wouldnt of minded since i said i believed in the bible and we talked about passages sometimes, mostly something Jesus did or said to illustrate something applicable to me in a emotional way. But that was like 6 times in 5 years that one was ever actually pulled out when i was a christian. since i also went a Pentecostal school i would talk about how the school twisted things and were hypocrites but never once was he preachy or tried to convince me of some spiritual truth. the bible was always referenced to in how I could find solace in some situation or something or another like that. It was used as an emotional application of my faith.

but now, it's different. im not a christian and he's seen me slide out of Christianity into an undecided Deism and eventual Satanism. I just do not see with him why everything has to be about "validation" or my dad. It's freaking irritating at times. I honestly think it's insane to point to the same cause for virtually everything. Before I have been able to ignore the bad bits I didnt agree with, but this is something totally different.

sure, i can see why it might be that i talk alot and dont listen well because i want valdiation, but i also think that it might be because im autistic, for example. but i do not think because my step dad left me at 13 i became a satanist at nearly 20.

and it makes less sense because the one I would rally against, my step dad, probably doesnt care. my real dad who is the guy i complained about in the past on here, i have more of a relationship with him now then before really, so that makes less sense too. if i wanted to rally against him id stab at him with stuff about my mom and how he went to make a 2nd family because he couldnt reconnect with me and my full blooded brother they way he wanted to, not by becoming a satanist. if i wanted to thro religion id be an atheist because by admitting the 'supernatural' as a satanist i give him a lot more ground to work with.

ugh, its not even 7 yet so sorry for the rambles

i have no idea if i missed the point or not, was it that he may have a few points? as for what all happaned with him last time, some things that also crossed the line i think i forgot to mention, none the less ill figure it out at some point here what i should do, i wish i had more technical information.

i called the place and asked the receptionist if my shrink broke some ethical thing what i should do. she said she didnt know and i felt dumb and hanged up

=(

Darkness, thanks for the explaination. I will check out that link.

I have never thought of "Satan" as the "force" behind natural selection, evolution, human nature etc. It seems like that force wouldn't have an opposition due to its nature and would just be considered benevolent. I just don't understand refering to this force as "Satan" because of the very, very specific meanings of who Satan is known as in all major monothiestic, ancient religions.

Also I would just say, there have been many well documented phenomenon that have occured when traditional Satanism is practiced and I would take care to be as informed as possible before fully commiting to that path. Some things stay with us for a long time, whether we like it or not.

Thanks for replying, and like I said thanks for the link (I have been all over the spectrum of sprituality and dedicated quite a bit of time to trying to understand different beliefs). I am a bit obessed with what is True in this life if there is such a Truth. Take care.

^

|

Well, one way to explain why I think that Satan is that force is because I believe the Satan talked about in the Bible is that force, and as a corollary I belive that the Christian/Jewish God works against nature. It is said in the Bible that after the fall sin became part of nature, and that sin is the reason for death, and that Satan is the prince of this world and the power of the air.

But if you believe that "sin" always existed, then it goes to follow that "sin" is more than natural to this world, it is the way it is meant to be, and then it follows that Jehovah's plans for us are unnatural, and soon everything you knew about Christianity takes a morbid turn when you follow the logical conclusions;

Jehovah wants your souls for "his glory" in order to feed himself and his ego; he cares nothing for you, and suddenly where ever his follower's souls end up, you realize that it will be the real hell.

That's just my belief though. I think I will later just be blunt with my shrink about how I didnt like how he was acting, and make it clear that I am aware that he committed or almost committed an ethical mistake, and that I wouldn't be afraid to talk to someone above him about it.

Yes God does ask us to strive against our nature, the fallen nature of man. But if you believe in the Satan of the Christian Bible than you know that Satan is a fallen angel who hates mankind (that is the reason he rebelled againt God, because man was made to be greater than Angels and Lucifer could not accept this, therby tempting Adam and Eve to try and get them to fall out of favor with God).

The Satan of the Christian/Judaic/Islamist traditions hates--unlike any hate man has ever known--the human race.

Anyway, your right about that your therapist came very close, or indeed did, commit an ethical error, however you'll probably never have a good relationship with him after that unfortuantly. Maybe it would be a good thing to see someone else and get some fresh perspective. Five years is a long time.

idk, i just had a shit day and learnd that my step mom and maybe my dad dontr give a shit for what i beileve even tho i did for what they believed and said good things about theirs and now my step mom said she cant see how there would be any good in my religion and i told her she doesn know anything about it adn she said she didnt wnat to know naything about it.

gonna call my dad and see if i wasted all my time here.

Darkness, you did chose to call yourself a satanist. That's pretty intense and immediatly brings up horrible conotations with it. It seems that you don't really believe in satan (lucifer that is) but a version of the natural forces in the universe. Why call it satanism then if not to provoke? If so, isn't that the reaction that you were going for?

• 9 months later...