Mental Support Community

Am I looking for a Sign?

Jenna520

Last night, something happened that really caught my attention and perked my curiosity. My son is one year old, and he can say basic things like ball, mommy, daddy, sissy, bed, milk, train, and so on. But tonight I was trying to get him to wind down so that he would go to bed and he had been crying and fighting sleep. Just out of nowhere, he got out of my arms, went over to the hallway, and got quiet. He was looking in an upward position. He said "the star" several times along with some words I couldn't understand. He kept saying something about "the star" . He pointed to the hall and kept talking about "the star for atleast three minutes and I got up to look. There was nothing in the hallway. I sat back down, curious, but just listening, trying to make out what he was saying. Finally he walked over to me and said "bye bye on birthday." I was floored, and here is why. Maybe I'm looking to much into it, but then again, it's strange because I've never mentioned anything about birthdays, nor has he attended one. Maybe you can share your insight.

My mother-in-law gave the kids a star balloon the other day. While my son was asleep, my daughter wanted to write a message on the balloon and send it to heaven for her uncle, (my brother who died 4 months ago). So we wrote a message on the balloon and released it, watching it until it disappeared out of sight. Now, my son wasn't awake when we did this, nor did we talk about it later on. Here's the thing, my brother passed away on the day of my son's first birthday. I know this sounds awful but I didn't have it in me to have one after that.

Is this coincidental, that he got so quiet and was looking like he saw something in the hallway? or that kept babbling about the star four days after we let it go, without ever having mentioned it before? And what is it with the "bye bye on birthday" I find it very interesting, but I've never believed in being able to communicate or link with a lost loved one. I keep trying to find an explanation for this and the only thing that I can come up with is either I've lost my mind, or I'm unknowingly looking for a sign to comfort the pain I'm in. What do you think?

Guest GingerSnap

I am a firm believer that those that we love are often here among us, providing help and guidance. This summer, a cousin that I had grew up with passed and several unexplainable events happened but 2 that stood out were (1) my electronic key thing fell apart and I thought I lost the back and we looked and looked and then, one morning I went to the car and it was sitting on the backseat in the middle of the seat. No family member did this. (2) I was looking for a clipping from a magazine of a hairstyle that I wanted and I have several and I looked through them probably 3 times previously and decided one more time to look and I found nothing so went to put the clippings away and when I returned, the clipping I was looking for was sitting face up in the middle of my seat - I had told no one which clipping I was looking for and no one had time to even get up from their seat before I returned to the living room. I could surely see my cousin having fun doing this. I wrote her husband a week ago to tell him to look for signs that she was here in spirit because I felt that she would want me to do that because I am sure he is experiencing the same thing. I often feel a "presence" and if you open to it, it makes a difference. They do claim that the "distance" for lack of a better word between this life and the afterlife has thinned over the years. They also claim that because children are more "open" that they can and do tend to see beyond what adults with all their fears cannot. Most of the people I know believe in this possibility so if I am crazy, I'm in good company!:)

Well, I must say, I'm a believer that something, of what I'm not sure. The next day my son went to the glass outside door and pointed to the sky and said "star" and "charlie" which is my brother's name. I have felt unbelievably comforted through this experience. I have always tried to rationalize everything out of the ordinary but I'm okay with not understanding what's going on. I do feel that it is intended to be a sign to comfort me.

The next day my son went to the glass outside door and pointed to the sky and said "star" and "charlie" which is my brother's name. I have felt unbelievably comforted through this experience. I have always tried to rationalize everything out of the ordinary but I'm okay with not understanding what's going on. I do feel that it is intended to be a sign to comfort me.

I hope you will allow the comfort and feel the serenity it offers you. Take care, Jenna.

Thank you both for your reply's. It has given me a peace I can't explain. One, I feel like my brother is trying to tell me to move on with my life because he is with me, even though I can't see him. Two, I really think about the fact that my son will never know him. My daughter will be nine, and Charlie was the most amazing uncle to her. My brother had only held my son once. Knowing he would never remember he ever had an uncle broke my heart. But then again, I feel like my son knows....in some way, he knows. That brings me peace.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived