Mental Support Community

Holiday plans?

Proverbs31:28

Just wondering what everyone is planning for the upcoming holidays? I already mentioned that I am dreading the holidays as I have no family to speak of so its just me and my kids. BUT, I have decided to make the best of the situation so I thought we could talk about positive things we plan to do.

Who wants to share their holiday plans or traditions with us?

I am not exactly sure, yet! LOL

I am going to let the kids choose whether they want to eat out or at home, though I think DD really wants to help cook a Thanksgiving meal so thats likely what we will do. I thought about Black Friday shopping which is something I did for years and years like a junkie but I just can't take the crowds so I have been shopping online. I may try to grab a few BF deals online if I can. Saturday after Thanksgiving, I am taking the kids to Santa's House and to see a manufactured blizzard as this is the closest they will ever get to snow! :D

Xmas does not excite me too much because my family does not place much emphasis on that tradition. This is actually the first I have come across the term Black Friday, so that is rather interesting.

After studying the ads for Boxing Day for a few years I can say that it is rare to find real deals exclusive to Boxing Day. The "deals" of some businesses tend to be discounts offered at other times of the year. Once I found a 4GB USB key for $20, which was really good; but, for some reason no one was buying them. I think the mismatched price labels may have had something to do with that :D. Recently though, I noticed that the same store offers the 4GB USB key for $45 while its 2GB keys go for $12. I don't really remember the precise prices, but the point is I like watching for how theory I learn is applied to empirical settings. It's fun! I am happy I can enjoy things like this again, but I think I may have gone off on my own rabbit hole here.... Also, I think I understand what my brother meant when he said I was a book worm.

• 2 weeks later...
Xmas does not excite me too much because my family does not place much emphasis on that tradition. This is actually the first I have come across the term Black Friday, so that is rather interesting.

I believe Black Friday gets its name because it brings businesses into the black versus the red? I am not sure but that makes sense to me. :( It's the day after Thanksgiving.

After studying the ads for Boxing Day for a few years I can say that it is rare to find real deals exclusive to Boxing Day.

Boxing Day? That is new to me as well! Sounds like a good day to duke it out with somebody! :(

I'm not really sure what I am doing. I guess I shall play it by ear. My mom is passed away and my dad just moved to an assisted living facility. My siblings are all scattered about. And I have no children to speak of.

I wouldn't mind spending my time alone really. I get tired of family, at least mine that is. The holidays ought to be a time to wind down not get stressed out! :(

We just got invited to a pig roast. A friend from church invited us to her family's pig roast. A small part of me wants to go because it would be good for the kids to be around a "normal" family for the day but the biggest part of me is terrified as I have been having lots of crying spells lately. Like pretty much all the time. So, I worry I'll burst into tears in front of these people I don't know very well. On the other hand, since I don't know them- and they don't know my diagnosis- maybe they'll buy into my facade and accept my mask as real. The kids want to go. So, we'll probably go. Its just going to take lots of mind prep and an extra dose or 2 of Xanax, I'm sure!

Gonna cook 2 BIG CHICKENS this week. One for us and one for the dogs!!! Just a plain meal... Turkey, stuffing , gravey , Cream Corn and rolls.... Hubs does not like all the rest and I am not going to cook all that for me.

I do not know if I will hear from any of the kids... The Ex- Daughter is back on That Love you trip.. but I just wonder what she is up to...

OK suppose to keep this positive!!!:(

Perhaps Hubs and I will spend some time together... we have been at odds lately.. Maybe we can communicate some....

JT

Happy Holidays to everyone on the site!:) This will be a Thanksgiving spent with my girlfriend and mother. I hope all goes well as I have to prepare the stuffing and chicken...no turkey this year as I eat turkey all year long!:) I doubt if I do any big shopping. All I want is a stomach full, laugh, movies and sleep it all off!

Gah! I am waffling, again. :) I WANT my kids to have normal holidays surrounded with love. We do NOT have that in my immediate family so it makes sense to connect with friends in our case. But, tonight, we went to a tgiving dinner at church and I was so close to tears the entire time. I am trying to think positively- I was ONLY "close" to tears and never did actually let any fall. But, boy did they come when I got home! So, I just don't know what to do? I try to think about this logically but I think I am way past that. (I tend to overthink everything!)

At this point, I am thinking I am going to be unhappy/depressed/symptomatic no matter what. If we stay home, I'll fell guilty for my kids' sake and that will feed my depression. If we go, I'll be on edge and trying to hard to keep up the facade and likely end up falling apart when I get home. So, I guess, logically, I should go ahead and take my kids to the friends. Not going is not going to save me any pain at this point.

Ugh! I just don't know! I know- this was supposed to be an upbeat post and all but now I am having a serious internal struggle over what to do.