Mental Support Community

hearing myself in my head

idied

Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've been on here. I've accepted the fact that I'm scizoaffective and also dissociative. There is something I'm not too happy about though and I was wondering how normal it is.

Whenever I write something, or am thinking about something, I can hear my voice in my head talking. There's -no- other voices, just this, what feels like, a personal narrator saying exactly what I'm thinking.

What is funny is I don't think other people have this at all. I think there's no voice that they turn to discuss things with. It's almost like this voice, is a reflection of me but I don't really view it as separate and it's not completely different from me.

I told my therapist and she said some people who've been through trauma have it (??) but I don't know what "it" is tbqh. This voice feels like a manifestation of mine but also not quite me.

I can't tell if this is some weird DID thing or if it's just plain schizophrenia. I can turn it off/on so it's not against my will or anything. It only happens when I'm nervous and I think it's only happened recently in my life (I remember not having it sometimes).

I got really upset the other night because I questioned if this was normal or not. The personal narrator voice manifestation thing has never told me anything different. It's like a reflection I guess. This sounds sorta weird. I'd like to know what this is. Is it a schizophrenic voice I'm associating with or is it actually me (or even a separate part of my identity)? Thanks.

Well, I can't say I'm normal:eek: but...I just verbalize my thoughts in my head. I don't 'actually hear' my voice in my head, I'm just talking silently to myself. I can also imagine other people talking to me in my head, but it's their voice in that case. But again, I don't actually hear it, it's just my imagination of hearing it, if that makes any sense. On the other hand, I can actually smell stuff that's not there. I don't think that's normal - I was told to get a CAT scan by the shrink I told. But my GP won't refer me so I guess that's that. I sometimes also feel pain by seeing an injured person or animal. Fortunately only in real life, not on TV. So I guess I'll never be in a healing profession...and I've got to be careful what I look at. So, IMHO, if the voices are REAL, like how I actually smell stuff or feel pain, I'd say that's not normal. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. Maybe it could be helpful to you.

Hi. I don't know if this is the same or not but I hear a voice in my head a lot of the time. I know it's my voice going over whatever i'm thinking about and sometimes it asks me questions of myself. I don't know if it's normal or not but i've had it so long it seems so to me.

Yes, that's exactly how I feel too O.o

Guest ASchwartz

There is a difference between: 1) hearing a voice in your head and 2 )Hearing a Voice. In the second case, you are truly hearing someone speak to you and you have no doubt that it's a true voice. In the first case, you are thinking about something and you are aware that its your voice and that it is in your head.

Hope this helps.

allan

Archived