Mental Support Community

Why can't I sleep?

Proverbs31:28

I have dealt with insomnia to varying degrees for about 7 years now. It first started when my DD was an infant, nearly died and I stayed up and checked on her night after night. 2 years later, I had not slept more than 1-2 hours at a time in 2 years. Docs said it was "physically impossible" but it was how I had lived. A year later, I was hospitalized for the first time and put on meds to help me sleep. For years, nothing worked for more than a short period of time and I would always revert back to not sleeping. But the thing is, I am not tired the next day. I am not fatigued. So, for the most part it doesn't bother me. But, it seems to bother everyone else around me! Anyway, about 8 weeks ago, my Pdoc changed my meds up and I finally started sleeping about 6 hours a night. This was huge for me and I suddenly felt rested. But, for the past 3 days, I have not been able to sleep. I have been completely awake for the past 36-40 hours. I do not feel tired. My mind is still awake. But, one thing I have learned is that when I go long periods of time without sleep- several days or more- I start having problems. I have had sleep deprived psychosis causing visual and auditory hallucinations and I get to where I can't make the simplest decisions or remember the simplest things. Soooo, it does bother me when I can't sleep for long periods of time.

Does anyone know what causes sleeplessness like this? I don't care if I sleep 2 hours or 4 or even 6. But, I am beginning to worry that I am heading down the path of no sleep again. I could really use any help or suggestions.

I know that you are primarily depressive, but is it possible at all that this sleeplessness represents a hypo (lesser) mania sort of state? is there anything to it beyond simple insomnia - such as racing thoughts, increased goal oriented behavior, etc?

Has anything possibly occurred that has you upset or worried outside of normal worries?

Have you possibly ingested anything that might have been stimulating (such as coffee late at night, etc?) that would be out of the ordinary?

Sometimes these things just happen, but other times there are triggers, or there are other issues that have been overlooked that can help to explain what is going on and therefore suggest a remedy.

If this doesn't resolve in short order, it would be a good idea to call that doctor and let him know so that he can evaluate the situation.

Mark

Hi Proverbs 31:28

I so hear you Proverbs. I have the same issue and have been hospitalised 5 times in the last 3 (or 4 maybe) years to try and get me to sleep. Pdoc's have not believed it was possible for me to sleep one or two hours of a 24 hour day for weeks on end or even not sleep at all for a couple of days then getting a 1 hour power hour and back into the 1-2 hour cycle.

I spent 8 weeks in hospital last year to try and sort the sleep issue. They have tried all kinds of meds and sleep routines etc. But nothing was effective enough for long term use. I am currently in a bad cycle of 1-2 hours and it is week 6 of the cycle. (I know I have about 2 more weeks until I start fading). This time I am aware that there are several stressors. I have been able to identify them through therapy, so I am working on reducing the power the stressors provoke my thinking. As Mark mentioned about racing thought - my thoughts start racing and I feel like I have no control of them but I am learning skills to control and slow things down.

Meds sometimes work for 2 to 3 weeks then lose effect, so maybe a review of meds may be necessary.

As for your question about what causes this kind of sleep deprevation. For me I guess it is the kind of nature of complex PTSD. My last pdoc suggested my sleep pattern resembled that of past combat veterans. Yet I have never been in combat. It is kind of weird because I would never think that my past traumas could be anywhere near what combat veterans deal with.

As Mark has suggested that worries may affect sleep. I tend to minimise my day to day stressors. So sometimes my therapist needs to almost validate that some of my current stressors are actually beyond normal day to day stuff.

When Mark suggested 'sometime these just happen'. I just thought that the last three years at this time I always have a sleepless cycle. I have no idea why as it is not an anniversary of any trauma, summer is coming and I like the summer. It just happens.( And I don't drink tea, coffee or caffeine drinks, just some juice or water).

Proverbs I do hope you get some sleep even if it is 1-2 hours. It can become torture on top of everything else you are dealing with. I hope you can take some comfort in talking to someone who understands this sleep issue because now that I have read your post I am kind of thinking someone actually understands. And it IS possible to be awake this much without dieing. (Blood pressure may go a bit crazy but hey I'm alive).

Send sleeping vibes your way Proverbs

Confused12

I know that you are primarily depressive, but is it possible at all that this sleeplessness represents a hypo (lesser) mania sort of state? is there anything to it beyond simple insomnia - such as racing thoughts, increased goal oriented behavior, etc?

Has anything possibly occurred that has you upset or worried outside of normal worries?

Have you possibly ingested anything that might have been stimulating (such as coffee late at night, etc?) that would be out of the ordinary?

Sometimes these things just happen, but other times there are triggers, or there are other issues that have been overlooked that can help to explain what is going on and therefore suggest a remedy.

If this doesn't resolve in short order, it would be a good idea to call that doctor and let him know so that he can evaluate the situation.

Mark

I don't feel any extra energy and do not notice any goal-oriented behavior. If anything, my late night hours are quite slothful, I am sad to say. I kinda always have racing thoughts- or at least jumbled, free flowing thoughts- which my T says is OCD type behavior.

As for worries, my life is full of them, but nothing new or larger than before. I do excessively worry (about germs, kids' health/safety, cleanliness, shapes, lines, socializing, finances, doors, patterns, kids' clothes/hair, the list goes on) and so my mind kinda rambles from one worry to the next. I don't think my mind is ever "off."

I have not eaten or drank anything out of the ordinary. I do not smoke, drink or use drugs and my only vice is soda, which I know has caffeine, but I don't drink it late at night. This was the first suggestion my docs had.

The only thing different, but I think unrelated, is that I had an episode of severely increased BP over the weekend. My BP skyrocketed to 256/180 and I had the worst headache ever which worsened with every movement. So, I spent most of 3 days on my sofa, in the dark and silence. My BP is still elevated (not THAT high, though) and the headache is better but I have had some kidney pain. I have had these episodes in the past, however, and it has never resulted in insomnia. So, I don't think its related. (And, yes, I know I should call the GP, but I do not have a local doc and have a grave fear of them so I don't go unless it is absolutely necessary. )

So, in short, I really can't pinpoint anything that would explain the insomnia.

I appreciate your input and advice. I guess I should stop worrying about it since it doesn't cause me any harm and one less thing to worry about would be good, right! LOL