Mental Support Community

What do you do?

confused12

I am struggling right now with my sleep issue. I was wondering what else I could do between 11pm and 4am when I am not sleeping and the rest of my family are?

Tonight I have read, read, read, wrote some, watched a movie, watched TV, completed a puzzle, listened to music seen to the children when they have woken, taken a shower earlier then a bath to try an induce some calm. I have even tried to lay in bed for an hour.

The last 6 weeks I have been rather calm about not sleeping so well but tonight has been rather frustrating and I am all out of idea's of what else I could do. :eek: Is this the start of panic setting in?

Have you any idea's?

Hi Confused, try to stick to things that aren't stimulating, rather they are relaxing. I listen to soft relaxation music. They say to drink warm milk. Here's a good article at the Mayo Clinic about why this is.

Recently when I was in a sort of a pattern of sleeplessness, I decided to get up at 7am every morning no matter what. And I would not take naps at all. So for example, one "night" I did not get to sleep until 5:50am in the morning and got up at 7am. So then instead of going to sleep at a normal sleep time, I went to bed at 7pm. It worked for me.

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time sleeping. I certainly know where you are coming from. Good luck to you.

Edited by WinterSky

Thanks WinterSky,

I do have fairly good sleep hygiene. For example, no naps during the day, no stimulant foods or drinks, warm Milo (milk drink) before bed. Light reading or tv program before bed. I attempt/plan to be in bed at 10.30pm each night 11pm at the latest sometimes it doesn't work out that way though (anxiety). I am up at 6am each morning, so last night I didn't sleep at all and I am not tired even, but somewhat settled because my family are awake and I am able to distract myself. But now that I am typing about sleep I cringe thinking about tonight.

I wish I knew why I find it difficult to get to sleep and stay a sleep.

Confused12

I am struggling with this as well. I do not have the focus or concentration to read much less work puzzles right now. (I normally love Sudoku) I pretty much kinda watch TV (not really paying attention), make hairbows (an old hobby I recently picked back up), or mindlessly surf the net (fill up shopping carts I will never check out!) For me, I stick to things that I can quit in the middle and it won't matter since I get distracted easily. I wish I could give you some real advice. Unfortunately, all I can do is tell you you're not alone and offer you support and an ear.

That's OK Proverbs,

I maybe could of added surfing the net mindlessly. I would hate to have to do a book or movie review because I actually don't know what I have watched/read. I am actually wondering what I have been doing at work this week. My eyes are actually sore so I am trying to cut back on the visual stuff at the moment. I guess I will just keep searching.

Confused12

Hi confused, sorry to hear of your sleeping troubles. For your sore eyes, if you live in a dry region I suggest you buy artificial tears eye drops. From personal experience I recommend the ordinary eye drops as opposed to the new “lubricating” or “gel” type eye drops as these new types tend to blur my vision.

Also, it is my understanding that the benefits humans gain from a nap and a full overnight rest are more or less the same in terms of mental performance. So, while I understand the reasons behind trying to stay on a single phase of sleep like everyone else, perhaps you should consider a nap during the day. A nap would probably be important if you are not sleeping as much as you need to. But, a great deal of energy is spent while sleeping to repair the body for wear and tear. Perhaps you should see a doctor or a therapist to address your anxiety surrounding sleep?

I agree with Winter's suggestion to set a wake up time rather than a sleep time. Decide when you are committed to get out of bed, and do whatever it takes to raise your body to an upright position at the appointed time. The reasoning is that by waking up at a set time your body will begin to “work around” the circumstances. Rather than select a particular time to go to bed in the evenings, just do your regular activities until you feel a little tired. This feeling will then serve as a signal to get ready for bed. Yet, in your case, this may not go as straightforward as described. For example, if you set your wake up time at 7:30AM, but you wake up at 5:00AM, you should continue to wait for the alarm and keep your eyes closed. Even if you are not asleep, simply resting with your eyes closed will help.