Mental Support Community

Poetic Release

Stigmabegone

"Writing your way out of depression often times is the antidote to allowing it to take over your life. Poetry is an avenue for one to freely express one’s emotions; emotions that have long been wanting to be expressed from the deep recesses of the psyche and from the soul."

(Poetry & Depression by JR Gildart, http://kozron.hubpages.com/hub/Poetry-Depression)

I am feeling poetic today. I used to write poetry in high school as a means to release the pent up emotions I was experiencing. I enjoyed writing poetry and it did help me to release my feelings. The last time I wrote poetry I was 19 years old. I stopped writing after I started taking medication for my depression. Maybe I'm feeling nostalgic but I think it might be nice to start writing poetry again. I think it may be a way for me to break down the wall I have built around me. If you would like to see some of the poetry I wrote when I was 18 you can visit my blog at stigmabegone.blogspot.ca Some of the poetry is dark and about dying so if this will act as a trigger for you please don't read them.

I have noticed poetry on some of the threads I have read so I know there are others who pour their feelings into poetry. I am just curious to know if you find it clears your mind and helps you to relax a little bit. What is your opinion on writing poetry as a way to deal with depression?

Writing helps me tremendously. My verbal skills aren't all that great, so this is a helpful release for me. It helps me to process whatever it is I am working through. Often times I will figure things out for myself too while I am writing. The connections happen in my brain and I see things with new eyes and more clarity. I also find writing poetry to be therapeutic. It is helpful for me to express my feelings in this way. I also find it soothing to connect with my gentle and sensitive parts. I also do this for pleasure when I am feeling well.

I hope you enjoy writing, Stigmabegone, and that it lifts your spirits. Take care.

Archived