Mental Support Community

Believability

Solara

That is my biggest problem right now. My family, especially my mom don't think I have schizophrenia. I've had psychotic episodes that I have not shared complete details of with her or the rest of the family so they can't possibly know more than my doctor or I do. My psychiatrist is very good. He thought it odd that a person of my age has this disease, though it is confirmed as far as he is concerned right now. I think. It's possible it has been latent since my teens and just never recognized since it was hidden, not obvious symptoms wise, so perhaps I'm schizotypical personality or something. I don't know yet. I have unusual beliefs and tend to follow odd people since my social life has always been a tad shallow or nonexistent. I have certain tendencies which I want to share later in the sexuality thread that may shed light on this. Trying to sort it all out isn't my forte. I jsust don't want to think about this lately. Too many issues happening in general to focus on just this diagnosis. Long and getting longer is my journey. *sigh*

That is my biggest problem right now. My family, especially my mom don't think I have schizophrenia. I've had psychotic episodes that I have not shared complete details of with her or the rest of the family so they can't possibly know more than my doctor or I do. My psychiatrist is very good. He thought it odd that a person of my age has this disease, though it is confirmed as far as he is concerned right now. I think. It's possible it has been latent since my teens and just never recognized since it was hidden, not obvious symptoms wise, so perhaps I'm schizotypical personality or something. I don't know yet. I have unusual beliefs and tend to follow odd people since my social life has always been a tad shallow or nonexistent. I have certain tendencies which I want to share later in the sexuality thread that may shed light on this. Trying to sort it all out isn't my forte. I jsust don't want to think about this lately. Too many issues happening in general to focus on just this diagnosis. Long and getting longer is my journey. *sigh*

This is a problem I think we all have.People just don't understand,and really don't want to admit that someone in their family(or one of their friend's) is mentally ill.They would rather call it a virus,or something like a cold that will go away very soon.Or they don't want to deal with it,But mostly they just don't want to understand it they just want it to go away.

My father-in-law is that way even though he know's I've been very productive in the 25 year's he has known me.

Well, you can't please everybody,and why should you worry about it.You have enough to deal with.

Bless you,ANDIE

I've had some people write me and tell me that it has been helpful to them to point family members to one of the topic centers on Mental Help Net so as to educate that family member about the particular illness they are dealing with. The schizophrenia topic center might be useful to you in this regard.

Sometimes its that family members don't want to know. Sometimes its that they don't know what it is that you are talking about. Or they are spectacularly misinformed, and believe all these stereotypes that have no basis in reality. Motives vary across family members so some will be willing to learn something new and some others won't. So it's best to focus your energy where it will do the most good.

Though Schizophrenia does tend to come on during young adulthood, it can occur at any stage in life, FYI. So it may be odd but it's not uncommon either to develop the illness in later life. Also keep in mind that there are many ways to have hallucinations - they can be associated with mood disorders, and even dissociative conditions. So sometimes people think that because it is involving hallucinations that it must be schizophrenia, but that is not always the case.

Mark

Personally, I have periods when I don't want to believe I have a mental illness. So, I can totally understand why those around us don't want to belive or can't understand. I certainly do not understand everything about my own illness and I learn things all the time.

My brother was one of the people I felt I could trust in regards to this. However, I began to notice that everytime anything happened with me he always chalked it up to my anxiety disorder. He drove me to the ER one day because I had been vomiting and unable to keep anything down for 8 days. As soon as we go there, he told the nurse "I think she's having a panic attack. She has those a lot." I had a kidney infection but I was treated like a nut case because of his statements.

So, I have learned to not share anything that is going on with me anymore. I share with my T and thats it. As far as everyone else is concerned I am "fine." To people who don't know my diagnoses, I probably do look "fine" and they would be shocked if they knew what went on inside my head.

I don't know if you put on that mask like I do but it could be that your family/friends see a different side of you. Do you let them see the real you? Do you avoid people when your symptoms are high so that perhaps they don't see what you are talking about? I don't know if this is you or not but, from my own experience, wanted to offer that possibility.