Mental Support Community

Why do some people suffer with mental illnesses & others don't?

paula

WOW JOSH, YOU HAVE REALLY GONE INTO DEPTH ABOUT THIS, AND FOR ME! IT'S THE FIRST TIME SOMEONE HAS GONE THIS FAR IN DEPTH FOR ME, ABOUT ANYTHING!

The prognosis of mental disorders also largely depend on the support group available to the client (alcoholics anonymous, weight watchers association) as well as his cultural acceptance of the problem. In the United States, I heard that prognosis is good because the people understands the condition and accepts the patient as well as a number of support groups available... there are some employers who willingly give patients under rehabilitation a chance to be productive and live normal lives. Having a sense of accomplishment (job) addresses or aids on self-esteem issues which is largely associated with depression.
Is this the same meaning in my country, the UK, as Equal Opportunities? It sure sounds like it to me! Where everyone is given a chance, no matter what their Race, Disability, Gender etc? I agree with what the Government are trying to succeed in and am all for it! Why should a disability stop you from doing a job that you know, that are in your limits to proceed? It's all a load of cods wallop if you ask me!
Paula please do not be offended if I will share my sister's story. She was living a perfectly healthy childhood until she was infected with Meningitis that progressed to Encephalitis. She recovered but she suffers from bouts of Seizure disorder as a permanent complication of the disease and this is not well accepted in my country. For some, it is a curse because of a sin from the parents while others believe that supernatural forces are at play. They would gather up and watch her as she has an attack and talk about it as if its some phenomenon or the devil possessing her (seriously). She was shunned by most people and she had very few friends and she was really depressed but we as her family had to understand what she was going through. We accepted her, and respected her limitations instead of denying it; and despite the odds, she was able to survive college and now holds a position in a real estate company. It was difficult for her to find a company to work for because the HR officers say she could not be taken in because of her condition but somehow, our prayers were answered. She still has SD bouts but she's no longer ashamed of it and the people from her company had accepted her and now knows how what to do when she has attacks.
This is awful, the way your sister has been treated through no fault of her own! This should never be allowed to happen in the first place. Your sister would of been frustrated enough, in the changes that has happened to her, without having to deal with them issues as well! It makes us wonder, what is the world coming too? No matter what is wrong with you, people shouldn't be allowed to judge you like the way your sister was judged! This is why there's so much fighting and killing in the world today!
PS: Those who have mental illness, they were the ones who had the guts to admit that there is something wrong and they can no longer handle it while for some (not all the rest), they'd rather live (or forced to live) in denial of the problem.
You will notice that the older generation are in denial of ever being in contact with some one with mental health problems, let alone being related to anyone with mental health problems, as in them day's, it was unheard of, to have a mental relative living under the same roof as yourself, and any such people was taken to an asylum, where they spent the rest of their living day's

Thank you once again for this, it is very interesting to know, and anything else that you might consider to be of any interest, please don't hesitate to forward on to me.

Guest ASchwartz

Josh and Paula,

Alas, the climate for those with mental illness is not much better than in the UK I am sorry to tell you. We are no further along than the UK in this area so don't be fooled. It is true that there is a better prognosis for those with the chronic illnesses like schizophrenia if the family is fully supportive and involved. Lots of time that is not true.

So, I am sorry to admit that there is the same stigma against mental illness here as there.

Allan:(

To be honest Allan, I really don't think the situation regarding Mental Health is just as bad over here?

There is a lot of help over here for mental health, like MIND, NHS,and various of others, I can't think of the top of my head. Thats as well as web sites that you could look on for advice.

So, I am sorry to admit that there is the same stigma against mental illness here as there.

I would disagree with you Allan on that one! In my opinion, I think there's more help for you here, if ever your feeling Suicidal, the need to go in hospital or desperate should I say, then you get carted off and put in a Psychiatric ward. I'm sure they love Sectioning you here, because once you get admitted in hospital, then there's no getting out for quite a while & I mean a while.