Mental Support Community

bulimia & drinking

beqynd16

I am new to the community and am looking to find some people that I can open up to and that can offer me some much needed advice. I am coming up on my 22nd birthday and I have been bulimic for about 7 years now, it started off slow but within the past year and a half it has become full blown. Lately, I have just stopped eating- having a south beach diet bar in the morning before work and a can of veggies for dinner. Even thinking of eating a real meal scares me and gives me anxiety. So I will give in and then purge. I have also began to drink...a lot. It has gotten to the point where I black out every time I drink, and I have been drinking every night straight for the past 9+ months. I do things when I drink that make me feel ashamed and depressed, which makes everything worse. I feel like I have no one to open up to. I see a therapist at school and I can't even tell him because I don't want to admit that I have these issues. I don't know where to turn:confused:

Any advice would be helpful.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi beqynd16,

Let me welcome you to our community. You will find that many people here share the same problem and I hope you find lots of support.

First, you find it difficult to be honest with your therapist because that is the nature of bulimia. People with this disorder feel huge amounts of shame and depression and try to hide things from everyone. Also, drinking and drug abuse are common and bulimia is even considered to be in the addiction category. Bulimia itself becomes addictive.

By the way, these diets will only make the bulimia worse.

Are you taking any medications and does the therapist have any bulimia support groups for you to attend? Groups would be very helpful to you.

I bet this runs in your family. Does it and among whom?

Allan

Hello beqynd16,

I think you did a great job opening up and like what sir ASchwartz said, you have to be completely honest with your therapist if you wish to recover from your recent habits. And I wish to advise you that Bulimia (particularly purging) may have serious complications if prolonged and untreated.

Do tell us how you feel and maybe, you can also share with us how are you doing in your family, in work, and in school. Perhaps you are stressed with how you feel about the people around you.

God bless!

- Josh

• 5 weeks later...
Hello beqynd16,

I think you did a great job opening up and like what sir ASchwartz said, you have to be completely honest with your therapist if you wish to recover from your recent habits. And I wish to advise you that Bulimia (particularly purging) may have serious complications if prolonged and untreated.

Do tell us how you feel and maybe, you can also share with us how are you doing in your family, in work, and in school. Perhaps you are stressed with how you feel about the people around you.

God bless!

- Josh

Hi Josh,

I saw that you are located in Manila. I just got off the phone with my mother in Manila and found out that my 14 year old brother has bulimia. Do you know where they could get help in Manila?

• 4 months later...

Hey, slow down with those addictions, you can't replace an addiction to another, you won's solve anything this way. Have you ever tried bulimia treatment for your problem? You need to learn to accept help for a change.

Edited by malign
link removed as probable spam

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ASchwartz

I agree with what everyone has said about this problem including that the treatment of Bulimia (and Anorexia) should include the family since that is often where the original problem was located.

Allan :)