Mental Support Community

New here, newly diagnosed, very unsure of where to go or what to do now...

perseid

Hi, all. New here, and newly diagnosed, at that, and... Unsure of what to say, exactly, sorry.

Just diagnosed with, ah, I'm not exactly sure of the name exactly, but it's under the psychotic disorder classification--one of those "not otherwise specified" ones. I'm feeling pretty shaken and unsure of things, and I've been trying to tell my close friends, and it still feels like a mess.

Anyway, I'm really not sure what I'm doing, and I can't make sense of it all. I figured finding some folks who actually had some personal and/or similar experiences with any of this kind of stuff would be a logical step, so here I am. Hello, everybody.

Hello, and thank you.

I am seeing a psychiatrist, yes, and I've been prescribed an antipsychotic and anxiolytic atop an antidepressant that I've already been taking for some time. I have yet to see whether the new medicines work, and I'm really unsure of what exactly is going to happen from here onward.

Frankly, I'm not sure what I think of all this yet. I'm still trying to process everything.

Glad to hear you're taking your medication, perseid.

It's OK if nothing feels wonderful or "wow."

In fact, that's better. Normal isn't spicy; normal is pretty bland.

But that's good. You need the bland taste of normal, to give you a baseline.

There will be plenty of time for the sweet, tangy, or spicy moments later.

Keep following your doctor's advice.

Hello, Perseid, welcome! :)

I imagine it has to be confusing :(... I don't have experience with psychosis, so I won't comment on that much, I can just suggest some reading and some supportive websites - there's a lot, of course, but here's an example - this is an astonishing therapist, in my eyes, in this context:

http://recoveryfromschizophrenia.org/2010/10/finding-out-more-about-the-open-dialog-approach-on-the-web/

http://www.recoverywirral.com/2015/10/open-dialogue-alternative-care-for-psychosis-in-finland-developed-by-jaakko-seikkula-video/

I would really recommend you to find a good psychotherapy as the medication can help a lot with the symptoms but... can still let you confused and too vulnerable to relapses, as far as I know...

Take care and keep posting :).