Mental Support Community

animals assisting in therapy :)

mscat

I just wanted to start a thread about how animals /pets of all kinds can help us feel so much better ! Better about coping, lifiting some of the depression just by petting a dog or cat. Being there for us and loving you uncondionally. And, to stop the lonliness and pain of rejection that one feels with humans so often.

I now have anther new addition to our family. She is a 8week old Shih Tzu puppy . I got her for my son who has high functioning autism and cognitive delays. We also have a 15month old Yorkie female.

What I have found is that these precious dogs have brought such great joy and comfort in our lives . This can't be replaced be nothing else. The puppy is 2Lbs right now, and she is just a little furball.

This is a big reason why I have not really been on here too much. Been very busy with our little pup.

Does anyone else find great comfort in their pets? Taken them to therapy? USe them as service dogs? Or emotional support animals? I highly reccomend it ! ;)

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Everyone,

Just to help you get the thread started, Cath, most of you probably know that, when I was in private practice, I involved my dog with many of my clients. Of course, only the ones who did not have allergies and were not afraid. Actually, everyone was accepting and only a few were uninterested one way or the other.

Any how, my dogs were terrific co therapists. So many people were helped with depression and anxiety disorders, and anger, too. What they would do is just keep petting to dog. Mingo was particulary talented in helping clients and my entire family to feel relief. She would just cuddle up to everyone, adult or child.

At home, my dogs have been great for all of us. I guess that is why we have 5 dogs, yes, 5 dogs, and big ones too.

Size makes no difference and our first dog was a tiny French Poodle who lived to age 18 and was always wonderful.

I fully agree with Cath and I recommend pets. They do not have to be dogs, although I happen to love dogs. Cats are also terrific and I know a couple who have a few acres and two horses. Yes, pets are good for mental health and releasing stress. To me, they are magical.

Allan

(That is my wonderful Mingo I am with in the photo. She died last year but I will never forget her).

Thank you Allen !

Isn't there others who have animals in their lives? animals that give out pure unconditional love ? When depressed , lonely, sad, upset, angry, a animal is there always to mend a broken heart.

I also have a yorkie who is a little sweetheart. SHe is 15 months old and only wants attention, and to be close to someone . The Shih tzu just wants to play, and be petted all the time.

I guess I relate better to animals then to people . Animals do not ask for much, they do not judge you, or care what you look like, or how rich you are. Just feed them and care for them propperly and they will give a thousand times back.

Certainly there has to be more people out there that feels the same way about there pets as I do?

I agree with you about pets, mscat. When I was a kid growing up, we had dogs (well, one at a time.) I owned two cats when I got married; one of them died and we eventually got another.

But you see, I have mixed feelings: I don't feel able to take care of any pets at the moment. I leased the apartment without pets, deliberately; the cats stayed "home" with my wife, though she would like to be rid of the older one, that was mine before the marriage. If she refused to continue to take care of that cat, I'd probably have to put it up for adoption. Maybe I'm taking it out on myself, forcing myself to do without, but I really don't feel like I can properly care for a pet when I'm still trying to set myself up in life, again.

Remember, on here, silence doesn't have to mean that people don't care about what you said, or that they disagree, necessarily. It might just mean that answering is too hard, right now.

Hi Cathy....

Yes i agree pets can be very theraputic, b4 i split with my partner in our family home we had 4 cats and 2 dogs and i got so much from them, they relieved the lonliness i wud feel, and were my friends wen all else had turned there backs. They like u say give unconditional love where in return they just ask to be looked after fed, watered walked and played with not much to ask really from a friend. Now unfortunately were i live now we are not allowed pets of any sort, but i take pleasure in my mums cat wen i go there.

take care

jo

It does not have to be dogs to help people feel better > I will say a puppy is a lot of hard work ! And at times exhausting! just like a very young child. not all dogs jump all over you, if propperly trained.

I orginally started this thread just to point out the benifits of any animal being helpful of relieving stress, depression, lonilness people feel . Yes , it can be a lot of work owing a animal, however, it can distract you from yourself , and from your own issues , just enough to help u feel better. It works for me, maybe it's because I like to be alone, and not deal with other B.S. . Oh well >

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but this subject always hits home with me. My home has always been filled with a variety of critters..dogs, cats, bunnies, rats, mice, and now birds. Without them i would have imploded long ago. Each and every one is a special being. To me they're like guardian angels keeping me connected to sanity. They provide relationships that are unburdonned by pretense, falseness, or hidden agendas. I can't even imagine living without them. BTW.."hermia" is the name of my mamma rat:)

I know this is an old thread, but this subject always hits home with me. My home has always been filled with a variety of critters..dogs, cats, bunnies, rats, mice, and now birds. Without them i would have imploded long ago. Each and every one is a special being. To me they're like guardian angels keeping me connected to sanity. They provide relationships that are unburdonned by pretense, falseness, or hidden agendas. I can't even imagine living without them. BTW.."hermia" is the name of my mamma rat:)

I saw the title of this thread and thought, someone else started a threat about this, and than realised it was my own. LOL .

herma , ia the name of your momma rat, that is adorable. I have heard rats are very smart and make wonderful pets. i have seen people have them before. And they are very cool . However, the stigma they have is unfortunate , they still kind of make me nervous , the wild ones.

Yes, animals provide unconditional love . And this is why they are so theraputic . recently , my puppy was injured, I felt like crap. It hurt so badly . I am now in debt , due to the vet costs and her needing surgery. But, it was worth it to me. she is a member of the family, and I can't stand to see my beloved little baby pup suffering.

Animals do wonders for those who suffer from depression , and he elderly who need companionship. I can't say enough about having a pet for those who need the support . :o