Mental Support Community

ADD and IQ

Guest GingerSnap

Guest GingerSnap

Hopefully, mentioning IQ isn't a problem. We have school information for all of us including parents using the Freedom of Information Act and learned that my husband's mother had an IQ of 105 and did very poorly in school and my husband followed in her foot steps. I had researched a lot of different mental health issues for my son years ago and came across ADD and told my husband, "This is you." Well, after learning about his mother (we are talking very poor grades even in elementary school plus rather haphazard behavior) I wondered if there might have been a learning disability. I know that this appears to have passed on to one of my husband's nieces also but I don't think they ever really put their finger on the problem, just a lot of hostility toward the child I think. Now, I wonder if it could be ADD. My husband took the test on this website and rated a high score. (We liked those tests to a degree, I rated a high score on mania - I'm high on life.) We are now looking into all the information that we can get on that and how we might want to deal with it. My son who was hopelessly hyperactive grew out of it just like the other son - they were just curious and a psychiatrist confirmed that on the younger one. My husband is not hyperactive. This may just turn out to explain some of what has been unexplainable in my husband's personality.

Ginger, one of the real problems with IQ is trying to define what you think you're measuring. Another would be dealing with your expectation of the results: an IQ of 100 is average, and I think it's 67% of people who fall between 80 and 120. That makes his mother's intelligence "normal" as measured on this test, and does not explain any poor grades she might have received. Lots of things could explain those, many of them neither measurable nor diagnosable, including just generally disliking school.

A personal example: my IQ tests quite high. I nearly failed English and Math as a senior in high school. You might describe my situation as depressed or avoidant or any number of other things, but I wouldn't expect it to explain my sexual behavior or what my favorite color is. Some things just are.

Gingersnap

My 16 year old son has adhd. Yes it often comes along with learning disabilities, my son is dyslexic. It is very frustrating knowing that he hasn't been able to reach his full potential - although his IQ is not high. He himself has very low self esteem as a result.

I am very sad to hear of the resentment towards your husband's relative, having these conditions are bad enough without extra pressure.

Goose

Guest ASchwartz

Goose,

Hi again,

Just wanted to let you know that you are probably not getting an accurate I.Q. on your son because of his double disabilities: ADHD and Dyslexia. Is he receiving help for these?

Allan

Hi Allan

When my son was initially assessed (at 11) his psychological report stated that "he displayed such a degree of anxiety and frustration in the test taking, that in my opinion he is unlikely to achieve a basic level of education". Now this probably was why his IQ scored low. To tell you the truth the numbers do not matter to me. What matters is my sons self-esteem and confidence.

He is no longer in mainstream school, he is currently trying out a course designed for people with mild learning disabilities, which helps them access employment.

Goose