Mental Support Community

MPD or BPD? real or not?

ManyFaces

When I was a teenager I once knew a friend who had some issues to say the least. After hanging out with this friend I began to notice some very odd changes in her behavior. One minute she'd be chill, then next she'd be grabbing a knife and trying to stab me, and the next she'd be like a child. After doing a little research (a term I use lightly) and watching Sybil a billion times and some other crap I came to the conclusion that she had BPD or MPD or whatever name you wish to give it. My question is simple enough, does anyone think MPD/BPD is a real thing or a fake thing? is it simply my "friend" or anyone in general inventing different personality's as a way to freak out on people without having to take responsibility for ones actions? or is it a real issue beyond the persons control? I'd love to hear any and all thoughts on this, be they offensive or not

hi,

i dont know about MPD or DID as i think it's known now? but i do know about BPD because i have/am or whatever it..and no it's not made up or an invention.

at the risk of sounding sorry for myself it's fcking hell! nobody would choose to be this way and im not sure they could keep up the pretence anyway it's exhausting, it's confusing,it's frightening, it's isolating and it's lonely and they're just a few examples not to mention the rest of the sh!t that often comes with it.

im sorry for your friend and i hope that if there was a problem she got some help.

Guest GingerSnap

You know I didn't realize there was a debate on whether such a disorder existed until I read this article: www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=advice&id=2002&at=7&cn=41&ad_7=1&submit=I+Agree - While I found Sybil to be an excellent movie, I have seen it twice and couldn't watch it again. Was there also a movie called something like The Three Faces of Eve - I think so and it was excellent also. Of course, you always have those people that like to mess with your mind and you don't know if they are for real or not. I had a co-worker who used to act, well, strange and bizarre and one day he whispered to me "it pays if they think you are a little strange" I think he was talking about them kind of letting him get away with things because they were leery of him. In the long run, it isn't a good idea to pretend such things which he did find out.

When I was a teenager I once knew a friend who had some issues to say the least. After hanging out with this friend I began to notice some very odd changes in her behavior. One minute she'd be chill, then next she'd be grabbing a knife and trying to stab me, and the next she'd be like a child. After doing a little research (a term I use lightly) and watching Sybil a billion times and some other crap I came to the conclusion that she had BPD or MPD or whatever name you wish to give it. My question is simple enough, does anyone think MPD/BPD is a real thing or a fake thing? is it simply my "friend" or anyone in general inventing different personality's as a way to freak out on people without having to take responsibility for ones actions? or is it a real issue beyond the persons control? I'd love to hear any and all thoughts on this, be they offensive or not

YES, these two conditions are real. DID, has different levels though. And it is rare that someone is a sufffering from multiple personalites. However, it is from major trauma in the persons life. What happens it that the tramuma is so severe, the persons will split off into anther personality as a coping mechinism, it is a way to survive extreme forms of abuse, and neglect. Sometimes, it is not obvious that a person has a split personality, because it can be just slight changes, if you believe your friend is "acting" though, and their has not been any consistency's in her behavior changes, then that is why you would certainly question her actions . DID is a disorder that can take a long time for even a professional to pick up on.

Their is a very good book about DID/MPD It is called "Stranger In the Mirror"

About Borderline Personality, this disorder is distinctive from DID. It is true that BPD can have eposoides of mild psychosis, however, it is not lasting, and happens when the person is extremely stressed out . BPD indivduals have trouble regulating their emotions, and have difficult relationship problems .Borderlines are all or nothing thinkers , and their is no in between. BPD , is very real , and is in the DSM. BPD have higher incidents of co morbid disorders too, making life painfully miserable, unberable and downright, dangerous to some BPD. However , BPD can be extremely high functioning, but then their are some that are not as fortunante. Self injury, Sucidal attempts, are more issues BPD suffers face with everyday, and then to try and deal with people > They hate being alone, and have a feeling of abandoment , when this happens too.

It's interesting that Ginger mentioned Sybil since I worked in the psychiatric hospital that her treating psychiatrist was medical director of. MPD or now better known as dissociative identity disorder (DID) is very real. Most people confuse it with dissociative fugue, or dissociative amnesia or depersonalization disorder.

The patients who presented with it most (where I worked) were Vietnam Veterans, refugees, survivors of severe abuse/molestation, and those who had experienced severe trauma.

DID is characterized by "switching" to alternate identities when you're under stress. In dissociative identity disorder, you may feel the presence of one or more other people talking or living inside your head. Each of these identities may have name, personal history (although such histories are generally very brief and have little depth) and characteristics, including marked differences in manner, voice, gender and even such physical qualities as the need for corrective eyewear. There often is considerable variation in each alternate personality's familiarity with the others. People with dissociative identity disorder typically also have dissociative amnesia. Some may come to the session as different people, with different clothing each time, a different voice and even different set of values (one personality may present as promiscuous while another as hyper religious).

Overall, it can be very distressing for someone who has this condition and therapy is very complex. However, it is highly controversial. What seems to be somewhat known is that in the various altered states (i.e., personalities) EEG readings and other physiological measures suggest that one may be actually seeing different personalities (or altered states). There are even some studies that have found cerebral blood flow to be different based on which "personality" is present during the examination.

As far as Borderline Personality Disorder is concerned, there are many on this forum who suffer from this condition, and as Donna said, it is "exhausting, it's confusing, it's frightening, it's isolating and it's lonely." I'm not sure I could say it better.

You'll likely here more about it from them.

The only people who can really know what Borderline Pesonality is like , is those who suffer from it !

How would u like to feel trapped in a nightmare , where there is no waking up from it ? Your emotions go up and down like a rollercoaster ride, you are sensitive, emotional, and feel abandoned. You want to like people, however saying the wrong things makes others turn away from u , so then u don't trust nobody anymore because of all the bad experiences u have had. You either really like someone, or really hate them. Setting off into rages and the anger u feel is unbearable. U often feel depressed, and become disconnected from yourself, sometimes psychotic. U have suicidal thoughts , sometimes trying to die, then your a self injurer . Hurting yourself to feel better, to cope with the emptiness, that is inside u, while your emotions are still all over the place. U think everyone hates u , and u do not even know who u really are, or what to do in your life.

U can also have other problems too. Anxiety, PTSD, major depression, dissociative eposoides . Making life one big hell , Hell being a place on earth u live in, and can't ecape from.

How does one escape from their personality?? Then to have a name for it > Lovely, absolutely fu**** lovely :rolleyes: :rolleyes: A miserable, place to be in , and trying to cope with BPD is like taking a hammer and smashing all your teeth out .